Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 19, 2006, 7:28 PM   #1

I just got my 20D and was using it indoors for a party and was a little disappointed. I am sure it is just my learning curve that threw me off. The pictures were not very sharp. What settings do you use for indoor flash. I also was messing around with the exposure parameter 1 and 2 but could not tell a whole lot about my results. Where do you set yours at?

When I was indoors it was daylight with snow on the ground windows open and dim inside the house. Will conditions like this throw off the camera meter as my pictures seem to be a little dark and not in real good focus. Does the camera adjust the exposure when it knows the is a external flash in the hot shoe. ss200 F3.5 iso 800 exposure bias from 0 to +1 trying to get a good picture. Center area metering and spot focus. I have a sunpack 383 and was on 1/16 flash and about 10-15 feet from subjects. I was in Tv mode. I have a school event to photo on stage this week and need to get good pictures. I will have the option of flash or no flash.

Thanks in advance as I have asked a lot of questions I hope you all have the answers.

RP33
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:45 PM   #2

Flash photography is not really that difficult with the 20D. I recommend that you read through this web site and you will have all the knowlege necessary to get started. http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

Once you read through that web site, you will know how the 20D handles each mode with the flash. You can then choose which one suits your needs best and get good exposures. I have settled in using Manual mode which gives you the most amount of control over exposure of the subject and background. Once in a while when I am just snapping pics and not paying too much attention, I will use P mode. :shock:

I think it is fair to say that you will need to dial in some FEC with the 20D to improve the exposure. Canon apparently meters in such a way as to protect highlights from being overexposed. I think I have mine set at +1 or so most of the time, but I usually check my histogram to be sure.

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:45 AM   #3

Parameter 1 and 2 are used when saving to .jpg It determines how much processing is done in the camera ie sharpening etc. If you use RAW, I don't think it matters which it is set to since you will be doing all the processing in your computer. You can change the default settings to your liking for .jpg's. There is a custom setting too.

Also, I think that Canon recommends Matrix metering for flash photography. Soemthing to do with ETTL2. Could be wrong, but I remember that from somewhere.

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote