Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 26, 2003, 11:37 PM   #1

Default EOS-10D Working out Well....

I had a chance to shoot some fill flash images today with my 10D at the Butterfly Pavilion in Broomfield, Colorado.

Following was taken with a 100-400L IS and 550EX flash at F16 - 1/500th, ISO 400. Camera hold nice detail and color rendition is quite accurate.

Lin

Last edited by Lin Evans; Feb 1, 2015 at 3:01 PM.
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2003, 5:25 AM   #2

that's pretty nice there, but i get shots like that without having the camera "contrast & saturation" set to high like yours.
EXIF tells a lot about a shot, as it also shows you have processed this shot in Photoshop..............i get unprocessed shots like this with a D60...........not to say the 10D is not a good camera, but i see where a lot of folks are having to up the in camera levels a bit to match what they used to get with their D60's..... :roll:
Hawkeye12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2003, 7:38 AM   #3

Hi,
As I told you on Phil's forum, what is important is what can be produced from the shot, not what comes from the camera. This is the way it "should" be with professional level equipment, which is, in my opinion, a "good" thing that Canon have done with the 10D. The "contrast and saturation" are not set "too" high. They are set where I wanted them. But in your D60, they are defaulted "too high" which is one of the things which was a frequent complaint and which was "corrected" in firmware with the 10D.

I can set the contrast, saturation and so on to defaults and the eventual outcome is identical. If you reduce the size of the original image and save it using PhotoShop, the result is that the photo is "processed" in PhotoShop.

I have numerous versions of PhotoShop. The older versions automatically discarded the EXIF file and I actually had to "copy" the EXIF to this smaller web-sized image from the original.

Now, so you can understand that the EXIF doesn't "mean" anything, download the image agan and take another look at the EXIF file and tell me what it says.... :-) You will see that EXIF information is only "good" for the photographer who took the image and is "unreliable" at best for you to make assumptions about what was and was not done to the image.

Lin
Old Mar 28, 2003, 1:14 AM   #4

Very nice picture Lin!

My first thought was "look at all that noise in the wings." Until I realized (very quickly) that it is actually texture and color.

Very nice indeed.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 5:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Evans
Hi,

Now, so you can understand that the EXIF doesn't "mean" anything, download the image agan and take another look at the EXIF file and tell me what it says.... :-) You will see that EXIF information is only "good" for the photographer who took the image and is "unreliable" at best for you to make assumptions about what was and was not done to the image.

Lin
well let me at least say this, your pictures are fabulous, and i certainly don't question you or your equipment. the questionable ones at DPR are those who claim extreme sharpness out of the 10D which is essentially tha same as the D60.
not that i haven't got my share of pretty sharp pics out of the D60 (mostly when using flash though), but if a person is truly getting a perfectly sharpened pic out of the 10D as some of those over there are claiming, then why alter or delete the EXIF info. to me, the original untouched EXIF that is tagged to a photo tells me what and how the camera was set up for the shot.
Hawkeye12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 11:31 PM   #6

Hi Lin,
Beautiful photograph!!! Congratulations on your 10D acquisition!!! You seem primed to have a glorious and fruitful partnership with it. As photographers like yourself learn to use this apparently wonderful instrument, early fears of softness and flat colors are all but disappearing. Take care and thanks for sharing this beauty. Curt A.
Digeeedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2003, 6:59 AM   #7

Lin,

Absolutely beautiful shot. I've finally decided to make the move into DSLR, and your 100-400 will be one of the first two lenses that I start out with. Send us more samples, please.

Ward
Ward Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 12:44 AM   #8

Hi Guys,
Thanks.. Hawkeye - I understand and it is nice to have the original EXIF information to help understand what's going on. The difficulty is than unless the user has one of the later versions of software to manipulate photos, the EXIF is frequently lost when anything other than a simple copy of the file is done. PhotoShop 5 and earlier stripped the EXIF, and earlier versions (over 2 years old) of most software did likewise. More software companies are sensitive to EXIF information now and that a good thing, but for those who are still using older software (like me in many cases) it becomes a lot of work to preserve it.

Thanks Curt and Eric - it's fun to work with the new 10D - it really is a nice camera.

Ward, congratulations on the decision - I think you'll really enjoy it. I'm hoping for some continued good weather so I can get out and get some samples this week or next.

Best regards,

Lin