Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 21, 2006, 3:00 AM   #1
hkj

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-7891-8214
hkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2006, 3:21 AM   #2

Hi hkj,

Thanks for the very interesting link. I've already read it (just minutes after you posted your note!)

In my opinion I think Canon could have done some more significant upgrades with the 30D... most of the changes seem "software" related. Still I'm surethe 30Dwill be a great camera, and many people will make beautiful photos with it. I'm quite surprised if it's true that they have used the same (or is it?) 8 MP sensor as the 20D.

Anyway, I'm sure this topic will dominate the headlines in the next days / weeks! Well done for informing us of it here!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 3:28 AM   #3
hkj

I used to have Canon film SLR, but for now I try to support "smaller" camera companies. I think it is never good if one company has too strong position in the market I do enjoy everything new and I think that we will hear more about Canon really soon, propably today...
hkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:49 PM   #4

[align=left]I hate to say it but I am disappointed. I was hoping for a big jump. I think the technology exits to make some real improvements, but seems that Canon is holding out the goods for a new model. I hope they are not going to divide the market up into to many choices. It really does not look like much of an improvement. It is really more like the d70 to d70s upgrade. I was holding out before jumping on the D200. I don't have either system now. I have been favoring a Canon, but at the current time it looks like the handling champ is Nikon. I have a few old Minolta lenses, but do not want to have to deal with Sony. I think they have shown nothing but contempt for there customers treating them all like thieves and there installing root kits on systems that try to play there rightfully purchased music cd's is downright criminal. So I may go with Nikon if I can get the extra scratch when it comes time to purchase. I was hoping to see some improvement in dynamic range and noise. Does not look like there was any. I will wait to see some reviews and tests perhaps there has been some improvement in the metering that does not show in the announced specs. I really like the way the Nikon handles, in the store anyway and like the reports of improved dynamic range. The other thing to wonder about is will there be a "hacked" firmware ala the original Digital Rebel to give a D20 the new features? Another scenario is releasing firmware that gives existing D20's the new features as Nikon did with the D70 but that does not sound to be like Canon's style. I am still holding out till I get this straight in my head. (I tend to over analyze decisions like this. You should see me when it is time to buy a car!) I like the upgrade path with Canon as the D1 seres I think is better than Nikon's top choices, but I do not know if I will ever need/want/be able to afford that jump anyway.[/align]
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 1:15 PM   #5

IMO, I do like the spot metering feature, but it really didn't make any difference to me what improvements they made. I am very happy with my 20D and my next up grade will not be to just the newer model. When I upgrade it will either be the 1D Mark II N or the 1Ds Mark II, that is what I concider an up grade. Buying the 30D to replace my 20D, would just be buying a newer camera, not so much an up grade. Now on the other hand if you don't already have the 20D, why not get the 30D. But there are some pretty good deals out there right now on the 20D, although I don't really see the price on them dropping a whole lot more. After all B&H is still selling the 10D for almost $900, although that includes the kit lens and 1gb card. I haven't seen the price of the 30D yet, but I'm guessing around $1500.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 1:29 PM   #6

I am interested to know if the new 30D has addressed the issue of loud mirror-slap that is experienced with the 20D. I photograph birds and this is an important issue. I have also seen comments from 20D users that shoot indoors that this is a big problem for them.

Can anybody shed light on this? Thanks.
JohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 5:15 PM   #7

Hi John,

I've searched for this info too (about quieter shutter "slap / clack") noise compared to the noisy 20D. But I didn't find any comment about this on any preview / press release yet. This was one reason that made me get the 350D / XT as compared to the 20D, because I do a lot of photography in churches, camps, natureand other sensitive situations and also didn't like the quite loud noise of the 20D shutter release.

Hope we'll find an answer in time. Anyway I'll stay with my 350D / XT, I'm very happy with it. Maybe I'll get a 40D or a 50D, depends how my current DSLR camera holds up to the few thousand photos I makeeach month!! :-)

Paul

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:10 PM   #8

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Hi John,

I've searched for this info too (about quieter shutter "slap / clack") noise compared to the noisy 20D. But I didn't find any comment about this on any preview / press release yet. This was one reason that made me get the 350D / XT as compared to the 20D, because I do a lot of photography in churches, camps, natureand other sensitive situations and also didn't like the quite loud noise of the 20D shutter release.

Hope we'll find an answer in time. Anyway I'll stay with my 350D / XT, I'm very happy with it. Maybe I'll get a 40D or a 50D, depends how my current DSLR camera holds up to the few thousand photos I makeeach month!! :-)

Paul

here is what I found "A slightly-shortened mirror blackout time of 110ms; Canon's specification for shutter lag remains the same as the 20Dat 65ms ".
ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:31 PM   #9

The best feature of the 30D is that hopefully the 20D's price will be reduced.

After reviewing the changes, the only really useful one in my mind is the ISO in the viewfinder.

Although I must admit, a larger LCD is nice because I can barely read mine because my eyesight is so bad!

When I first got the 20D I was rather suprised by the thunderous clap of the shutter, but now I don't even notice it!

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:24 PM   #10

The 30D is a modest upgrade (the bigger LCD screen is probably the most significant improvement). As a 20D owner, my camera will be a hard act to follow. Much of the "new" stuff could be modidied in firmware, but don't hold your breath for Canon to provide it, but some hackers might do it.

For the money, the 20D or the 30D look like a pretty good deal.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote