Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:24 PM   #11

I don't see how someone would buy a 20D for $100 less than the new 30D. There are enough improvements, and no take aways that makes this a no-brainer for first time buyers. If only I could sell my 20D for somewhere between $100 and $200 less than the new 30D, I would and then upgrade. The cost of upgrade for that price difference is easily justified by the improvements in the new model...IMHO

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:50 PM   #12

I agree with bigboyhf,

It's worth the extra $100-200 to get the 30D over the 20D, at least from a resale perspective.

However if I was looking atstepping up to the 20D versus the30D, ifthe 20D were $300 cheaper than the 30D, I'd go for the 20D, no problem.

The sensor is basically the same.

The biggest improvements in my mind are (drum roll);

- See the ISO through the viewfinder (fix to a niggling pain in the a**)

- No longer creates a folder every 100 shots (another pain in the a**)

Probably having the extralong shutter life might be important to high mileage users.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:14 PM   #13

I thought the shutter life on the 20D is also rated at 100k?

http://bobatkins.com/photography/dig...0d.html#better
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:00 PM   #14

Yah, I read that site as well, but the specs on the new 30D said it has a new, improved shutter life.

So who knows???
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 2:26 PM   #15

Alpine man... you beat me to it, I was wondering how they could claim that, as I remembered the 20D also was "rated" at 100,000 clicks.

... and Terry - maybe they did something like shaved 0.1grammes off the shutter's weight which means that instead of D20 cameras obtaining 100,000 shutter releases with a 5% tollerance level (normal curve stuff) the new D30 cameras (with apparently very similar shutter etc mechanism) now obtain 100,000 shutter releases with a 3% tollerance level (slightly fewer cameras "will" / might break down before that...) - and so they are "justified" in the marketing claim that it is new 'n' improved! (but still at the same rating of 100,000!)

Call me cynical... I am a marketer (marketing was my Uni major degree so I know a bit what it's all about!)

Paul :-)
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 8:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Well first there is some factors you can assume like if you only have to use ISO 125 or 160 you going to get a lower noise profile than ISO 200. So thus you can cut down on noise by using a more ideal ISO setting than a full stop higher setting.

Also on the press releaseone of the big features was the long exposure noise reduction doesnt take an equal ammount of time to process the image before you can take another i.e. a 30 second exposure takes no longer lockes up the camera for the next 30 seconds like it used to.
Can you (or someone) elaborate on this??? Is this referring to extra ISO options? Translates into??? Don't really follow the second paragraph at all...

leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 5:28 PM   #17

Has anyone seen an in depth review of 30D yet? I know general public has not seen it yet but may be evaluaters have units for testing in their hot little hands already...:?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 4:40 PM   #18

I think the 30D would be a better choice for anyone buying a new camera, but there's very little reason to get a 30D if one already has a 20D.

I don't think the upgrade was significant enough to warrant a whole new name. 20Ds would be a better name for this camera. Then again, it's obvious that Canon's nomenclature is very inconsistent. Now they have the 30D, and the D30 from six years ago! Considering the large number of people I've seen refer to the 20D as the D20, confusion between the D30 and 30D is inevitable. I can just imagine someone thinking they've found an amazing deal on a 30D, only to have it turn out to be an old 3-megapixel D30. :lol:
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 9:46 AM   #19
VP

The press release from Canon said30D would be available in stores in mid-March.Retailers seem to be indicating availabilityanywhere from April/May to they don't know. Anyone have a good idea of when?

Decided to make the purchase but have a trip planned for next month so may begoing with the 20D. I don't currently have a DSLR so thought I would go with the new release but I need time to learnso they gotta get a move on:-)......
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 7:23 PM   #20

VP wrote:
Quote:
The press release from Canon said30D would be available in stores in mid-March.Retailers seem to be indicating availabilityanywhere from April/May to they don't know. Anyone have a good idea of when?
I am waiting for 30D availability too. April or May sounds like too much delay...:sad:

What happened to promise Canon made that 30D will go on sale in mid March?

Does anyone know for sure when 30D will start shipping?:?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote