Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 21, 2006, 2:32 PM   #1

Canon just announced 30D today and left many people unhappy as they were expecting a bit more, like less noise, better dynamic range, bigger ISO range, etc.

Now my question is; why would you want to buy 30D with very little improvments over 20D? It seems that it makes more sense to buy 20D at a much chaeper price and spend remaining money on better glass...
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2006, 2:54 PM   #2
rey

Yeah, the 30D is not much better, but Canon will probably faze-out 20D, so we may not have that option after a while... although B&H still carry the 10D. Also, Canon has a rebate on the 5D in Europe and no announcement has been made for the US. Maybe Canon will also give rebates for the 20D as it faze it out. The entry price for the 30D is not bad though. With $1400 MSRP, maybe website can discount it to $1300.

I'm also wondering if some of those 30D improvements can be had as a firmware undate for the 20D. I don't know if Canon allows firmare update like some Nikons do.

In addition, I was hoping the 30D kit will come with an affordable 17-70mm USM (non-IS) lens, and disappointed that it didn't happen. Also, I was hoping for a price reduction announcement on the Rebel XT down closer to the D50 price range, but that didn't happen either.

I'm in the market right now, and will wait if Nikon will announce anything this week in terms of DSLR. As it stands, I'm leaning on the D70s with its nice kit lens for less than $1000. The 20D with its kit lens is a second option right now.

Also, Nikon usually have a Spring Rebate program that starts around mid-March, maybe the D200 will drop down to the 30D price with rebates.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 3:33 PM   #3

I can't think of a good reason to sell a 20d to upgrade to a 30d. There are some nice new features - bigger LCD, spot metering, different histograms which are very nice but nothing that makes me want to sell my 20d to get one. Now, I agree with the other poster that the 20d would likely be phased out. To me, this camera seems more like a 20D Mk II than a new body. If I didn't have the 20d, and was looking for either 20d/30d I'd wait a couple months if I could to see if the 20d drops in price to sell out inventory. If 30d is only $150 or so more I might be inclined to get it over the 20D, but I don't see any of the new functions being worth more than $150 price difference. But that's just me.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 3:33 PM   #4

I believe the 30D's target market are folks looking into getting their first prosumer DSLR and folks looking to upgrade from the D30, D60, 10D, and Rebel. I have a 20D, and it looks like the 30D is not in my future since it will only give me minimal upgrade. Canon's MSRP for the 30D is $1399 vs the 20D's $1599 when it first came out. B&H sells the 20D kit currently for $1280...if I did not own a 20D, I would go for the 30D for just a few dollars more and get the bigger LCD screen and higher burst rate for RAW and JPG shooting...along with the other firmware "upgrades".
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:31 PM   #5

This is what happens when a market begins to mature. The DLSR market had to slow down because at some point to prevent a massive bubble and we all know what happens when bubbles burst.

The 30D is a huge step forward in the right direction. Granted it doesn't look any better on paper to the average consumer but the 30D is much better.

More ISO setting 100-1600 1/3 stops, ISO 3200, ISO visible in the viewfinder(huge deal), less noise per ISO setting, more metering options, deeper buffer, better noise reduction, JPEG's without sharpening, better shutter(100,000 cycles), shortened blackout time, and faster burst.
All of this and at a lower cost.

Thats a long list of improvements that most people who shoot sports or events with difficult lighting want or have wished for. Granted most people will see the specs list and be like there is no difference but for those who wanted it these are huge.

Also remember a 6.3 mega pixel camera can produce amazing 11x14's so it stands to reason a 8.2 mega pixel camera can produce amazing 16x20" prints Im not sure about you but the largest Ive ever sell are 11x14's Im sure 16x20's are overkill for most amateur photographers.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 5:20 PM   #6

VictorEM83 wrote:
Quote:
The 30D is a huge step forward in the right direction.
Quote:
less noise per ISO setting, more metering options, deeper buffer, better noise reduction,
I like what you are mentioning about low noise and better noise reduction, but how do you know this information?

Canon is using the same chip and basically same camera with same digic II processor. I would love to get lower noise as Ido low light phtography quite a bit. Please provide some more insight into the lower noise and 30D as that will a deciding factor for me to go with 30D or not.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:58 PM   #7

As I said in another post in not so many words, I don't think Canon intended the 30D to be an upgrade of the 20D, just a new model. If you want an up grade the 5D, and the 1D Mark II N and 1Ds Mark II are the up grade models. The 30D is just a replacement for the 20D with a few added features. People were hoping the 30D would have more pixels, faster burst speed and all the things that the Mark II and 5D have but still be a $1500 camera. If that were to happen Canon might as well toss all the 5D and Mark II N's in the trash cause who would pay twice the price for the same features. They haven't stayed in the camera business for so long by cutting their own throats. I also don't see the 20D price dropping a whole lot more, after all B&H is still selling the 10D for around $900 and that is body only but does include a 1gb card.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:55 AM   #8

Well first there is some factors you can assume like if you only have to use ISO 125 or 160 you going to get a lower noise profile than ISO 200. So thus you can cut down on noise by using a more ideal ISO setting than a full stop higher setting.

Also on the press releaseone of the big features was the long exposure noise reduction doesnt take an equal ammount of time to process the image before you can take another i.e. a 30 second exposure takes no longer lockes up the camera for the next 30 seconds like it used to.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:03 PM   #9

I think I am getting your point here. I am looking forward to hands on detailed tests of 30D by some of the reputable reviewers to make the final decision. Any idea when we would be seeing them? In few days or longer?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:54 PM   #10

I have been looking at the 20D as a replacement for my 35mm for the last few weeks and have done all my research but was waiting for the announcement of the 30D before making a decision. Needless to say when I saw the press release on Steves, I jumped straight to the specs. My first idea was to wait for the price on the 20D to go down but then I read the complete article and noticed that Canon said that they will still continue to offer the 20D at a slightly reduced price of $1299.

Hmmm, all things being equal, that is a difference of only $100 - you can't get much glass for that except for a 50mm 1.8 so I am going to wait to see the prices of 30D and what the actual price difference will be.

It seems as if the Megapixel race is slowing down and I do not see myself chasing technology unless I have a real problem with a body so I would be happy to spend a couple of hundred on the 30D. On the other hand if I owned a 20D, I would not upgrade to a 30D for what it gives unless I could be sure that I could make the money back but then I am not a pro.
Flash99 is offline   Reply With Quote