Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:31 AM   #11
NHL

The best feature of the 30D is its price!
You can see it already at the retail level where they position the XT and the 30D -> It's going to hurt the competition to compete $ wise....

This is where they are going to make up for it once you're on the hook (BRAVO for the marketing department):
ht770 wrote:
Quote:
How about the new lens 17-55 F2.8 + IS to this I say bravo ,I was thinking of getting the sigma 18-50 F2.8 or the 17-85IS from canon, but nowI will have to wait for this one. thinking of upgrading my rebel xt to the 30D ..........this is good news .
You can get three Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 EX and two 17-85IS for the price of the new EFs 17-55... Heck you can even get the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 EX and the 17-85IS and still have money left over for your vacation... :lol: :-) :G

Someone should really put the IS in the body - think about the other lenses!!!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:58 AM   #12

Well I just want to see the new lens, I will end up getting the 18-50 or the new tamron 17-50 F2.8........I always look for a god deal and I like cheap........lol.
ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 6:28 AM   #13

NHL wrote:
Quote:

This is one step that Minolta has taken that I wish the others would follow. If Minolta would put a little more behind thier DSLRs they could be abigger threat to Canon and Nikon.

Dave Porter
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:00 AM   #14

NHL wrote:
Quote:
You can get three Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 EX and two 17-85IS for the price of the new EFs 17-55...
It's a bit confusing the way you wrote this, you should have written 3 of theSigma's 18-50 f2.8 EX's OR 2 of the Canon EF-S 17-85's.

NHL wrote:

Quote:
Heck you can even get the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 EX and the 17-85IS and still have money left over for your vacation... :lol: :-) :G
Yes, NHL, this is clearer, and now what you show is really saying something!! It does seem the new Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55mm USM IS is quite an expensive lens (but than again the similar / competing Nikon lens, withOUT IS is alsoan expensive toy!) My bit of prediction is that many more people will buy the 17-85mm lens as their "30D camera lens" rather than the 17-55mm.... (but maybe Canon thinks so too, and is producing 10 times as many 17-85's as 17-55's!)

NHL wrote:
Quote:
I totally agree with you on this one, NHL. Hopefully Canon (and other manufacturers) will do this one day as standard for their DSLRs, maybe with the 40D?! :-)

NHL wrote:
Quote:
The best feature of the 30D is its price!
You can see it already at the retail level where they position the XT and the 30D -> It's going to hurt the competition to compete $ wise....
And here again, I think you're spot on NHL- the 30D seems very reasonably priced, and I think saving those few hundred of dollars over e.g. the NikonD200 will be telling in the market. Though as I've heard the Nikon D200 is a very solid performing camera (with some advantages over even the Canon 30D, particularly for some users). But the Canon 30D will attract other photographers for other reasons (of course depending on your lens arsenal).

But I will stick with my 350D / Rebel XT and continue to enjoy photographing with it!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:02 AM   #15

headhunter66 wrote:
Quote:
NHL wrote:
Quote:

This is one step that Minolta has taken that I wish the others would follow. If Minolta would put a little more behind thier DSLRs they could be abigger threat to Canon and Nikon.

Dave Porter
Dave, Minolta is out of the race... maybe Sony who has sort of taken over part of their running will do it (build IS in their cameras)... but of course we have to wait and see. I think Sony has the marketing and technological potential to be a serious competitor to Canon and Nikon in the next 2 or 3 years.... And that can only be a GOOD things for us consumers!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:11 AM   #16
NHL

headhunter66 wrote:
Quote:
Exactly!

For my $ why upgrade? I rather have a KM-7D or a D200 since I already owned a Canon...

-> What's the big deal?
1. Most people 'know' what ISO they are at before shooting, otherwise they better have their head examine...
2. Deeper buffer - I shoot in single shot mode and single-AF most of the time (if not all the time) even for my action shots. Some folks just don't 'machine gun' their camera and hope for the best, but rather nail it right off the bat.
Actually I came from the Hasselblad where hand cranking the knob allowed you to 'think' about how to compose the next shot! :-)
3. Spot metering? So you can average the spots and shoot @ 9 raw frames?
4. Bigger LCD? Well the competitions already have it - actually the KM 7D has it 1st over a year ago (everyone should see how informative KM has displayed the camera info data here)
5. Battery life - even the old D100 outshoot all Canon in term of # total shots! (and this all have to do with integrated motor in the body vs USM/IS). The D200 clearly outshines everyone here...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:44 AM   #17

One thing I have not seen anyone mention is the 30D is supposed to have an improved AF system algorithm, which is where the 20D fell down in AI-Servo mode.

If it works out to be true, that would be a very favourable point for me to look at adding one to the kit. I'll wait for the real life user reviews before making that decision. :G

For some of the other points made,
The new "spot" metering is much better at 3.5deg than the 20d at 9deg. But comes no where near real 1deg spot metering my sekonic gives me.
The other additional metering modes who cares :-) I tend to use mostly M, or Av if I don't have a handheld meter with me.
Bigger LCD OK nice, but I'd rather have even longer battery life.

All in all I do think it is a very nice camera.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:07 AM   #18

Read this input from Rob Galbraith on the 30D. It changed my opinion on the 30D after I read it.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-7891-8214
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:27 AM   #19

I tend to agree that the 30d changes are very good improvements on the 20D. I don't consider it as an upgrade FROM the 20d but as a replacement for the 20D it is very good.

Some other points:

I hope Canon has some more lens offerings coming out - I must admit I'm stumped by these two. The 17-55 makes sense as a 1.6x sensor equivelent to the 24-70 which has a HUGE following. What I wonder about is how many of those photog types are going to be using 30D, 350D bodies in the near future. And for the entry level consumer I can't see them shelling out that kind of money for that lens - how many people need f2.8 and 17-24 range? But that's just my opinion.

As for IS in the body, I don't see Canon or Nikon going that route until Sony picks up a more significant chunk of the market. All Canon's top telephoto line would then be compromised: and there would be a demand for all the same lenses without IS. And let's not forget, this is still a huge benefit over 3rd party lenses. So, while it would be great for us, it would be a severe blow to Canon's lens sales if they had to put IS in the body. And unless Sony starts eating up a bigger slice of the DSLR market I don't know why Canon would WANT to put IS in the body and have to re-design their top glass and lose sales on other IS lenses to third-parties.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:04 AM   #20

The more I stare at the announcements the more it seems like it will be a nice addition to the kit, after a while.
I never buy new releases until others have had a go at testing them out :G

Peter
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote