Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:52 PM   #1

What are the differernces?.. I was planning on getting my first DSLR this summer.. So.. By the time I have all the fundage, the 30 will be in the pic..

Right now, I really want to know the difference between the 30 and 20.. compared to the 350 Rebel.

I know there's about 600.00 diff.. but what are the biggest differences.

This will be my FIRST dslr.. want it to last me prob 4 years before an upgrade in body. Obvioulsy investment in lenses I would like to stay the same.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:02 PM   #2

For specification differences between 20D and 350D try:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...d&show=all

For a discussion of relative merits try here:

http://bobatkins.com/photography/dig...xt_vs_20d.html

A google search string of "350d +20d +differences" will throw up a lot more too
phil_evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:10 PM   #3

Ok.. looking breifly at it.. There are minimal differences that would affect me as a newbie.. prob best off getting the rebel and putting more investment into lenses.. correct?

Forgot to say.. thankyou for the links.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:09 AM   #4

Can't fault your conclusion - the 300D has been a great first DSLR for me after several years on Olympus/ Canon P&S cameras. The 350XT is better than the 300D in most respects and should last you 4 years as long as you don't get upgrade-itis (and/or a load of spare cash).

I'm verytempted by some of the speed and ergonomic advantages of the 30D over my 300D. However, part of me would like the lower weight of the 350XT so I will probablycompare them in a shop before I make a final decision. I've got used to using ISO as a '3rd parameter' to keep a small-ish aperture for sharpness with my longest lens (70-300 DO IS). Hence the 30D's in-viewfinder ISO readout and dedicated ISO control (rather than via the menus of the 350) is another driver.

Yes the 600 USD could get you a single nice lens (e.g. 17-85 EF-S IS covers a great range and getsgood reviews)or perhaps get the kit 18-55mm, a nice prime like the 50mm f1.8 and still have some money left for a longer lens or a faster one (e.g. Tamron 28-70 f2.8) depending on your shooting matter.

phil_evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:16 AM   #5

I have felt them both instore.. the XT does indeed fit my hands better.. I've got more control over it..

The curiousity of the price jump had me wondering.. But I don't think as an entry level camera.. the extra body investment is worth it.. I'm sure whatever is out in a couple years will be worth it, because I'll have a better idea of what I need. I'll be extra picky about lenses.. and I'm sure I'll have PLENTY of questions later about that..lol

I'll likely grab the kit (here it's a minimal diff of about 50.00).. that way I have a lense to 'learn' with.. get to know the camera.

I've got a few months before I make the jump. Maybe I'll see if I can get a package deal on the body with the 17-85 IS.. A private photography shot may be able to wing it I'm sure.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:37 PM   #6

For those wanting to "experiment" on which DSLR is right for them but can't afford to purchase new and then find out later it's not for them and take a big hit on resale...rent a DSLR...or buy used. If you buy used, chances are you'll be able to sell it for about the same price you paid. All my DSLR gear are used for this reason...body and lenses.

AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 2:49 AM   #7

I think I understand your situationclearly VWMOM, You havea S2 right? I remember reading about it somewhere in this site.

I upgraded to a 350D (XT) Feb. 1 and after using it for almost 3 weeks I discoved dust on my sensor and being a gungho - DIY type of person I bought sensor swabs and tried to clean the sensor only to make a mistake and slightly scratched it - thank goodness it didn't affect the image as it doesn't show up on pictures. But it got me so disturbed that I sold it as is to a friend. I then bought another 350D the other day only to discover once again there was a slight "dimple" on the sensor that shows up on the final image. I returned it to the seller and being fed up with the 350D {I don't think the 350D likes me }

I walked out with a 20Dbody and an almost empty wallet with my head spinning :?and chest pounding thinking of ways to justify the money I spent to my wife.:?Of courseshe wasn't crazy about ti but it went far better than I expected andshe wasgraciously supportive of my new found hobby. If you like the 350D ( which I loved dearly - but doesn't love me back) you will love the built - quality, the solid and substantial feel of the 20D. AlthoughI got really small hands, I find the 20D ergonomics to be better in almost everyway. As the saying goes here in my country - Only in the Philippines

Any of these 3 cameras will give you great value and great pictures the 350D is light and compact and relatively affordable, the 20D is definitely a step up in terms of built quality, AF speed (although I always shoot in full manual mode) and ergometrics or maybe you like to wait for a short while for the 30D to come out. Since you already have the S2 and have decided to take the next step in photography then it might be worth considering buying a step up from the entry level camera. just my 2cents worth. Hope it helps :-)
danielg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:48 AM   #8

Utimately I will likey check out more in person at the photo store.. I have really long fingers, so comfort will play a part to an extent.