Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:16 AM   #1

When to shoot RAW or Jpeg and what are the advantages to each.

I shoot a lot of sports so I shoot a lot of shots is the any need to shoot raw and take up space on my cards?

When going through you pictures do you use the packaged Canon software or Photoshop? I am running into a problem wanting to clean up every picture I shoot but don't have the time. How do you work with this process?

RP 33
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:37 PM   #2

Depends. If you exposure is right on, and you need to make minimal changes in PS, then jpeg out of the camera are fine but it seems since you have to tweak/clean up every shot, you aren't shooting right to begin with. RAW can help in those situations but off course it takes more space.

I shoot only in RAW and use C1LE to process it. Later use PS7 and/or elements 3.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:38 PM   #3

RP33,

I shoot with RAW because I can adjust the images more, and I can also create jpegs of different sizes for web, newsprint, 8x10 prints, etc.

I use RAWSHOOTER to process the images.

You can do a "batch conversion" and apply the same adjustments to a group or all of your images.

For instance, you can up the exposure and do some noise removal on, let's say 100 shots and you convert them from RAW to jpeg.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 6:07 PM   #4

When shooting the 20D. I am using low light and 2/3 exposer compensation then running the aperture 1 stop before it starts to flash. Isn't this suppose to be a good exposure?

What version of RAWSHOOTER 2005 or 2006? Do you shoot raw all the time even outdoors with good light?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 7:56 PM   #5

I shoot RAW all the time, every shot, indoors or out. I never use JPEG any more.

I had RAWSHOOTER essentials but I paid the $59 and upgraded to RAWSHOOTER Premium 2006.

I really like RAWSHOOTER a lot. I've seen many other people on this forum give itexcellent reviews.

I never use exposure compensation while I'm shooting.

Maybe a little fill flash and that's about it.

Usually I shoot shutter or aperture priority.

I adjust the ISO to the situation. For instance, if it is cloudy I use ISO400, or late evening or dim indoors I use ISO1600 or ISO3200.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:11 PM   #6

I have gravitated to RAW only use too. Though when shooting my dogs in action on continuous, I can fill up a 1 gig card pretty fast. So, I have two cards and a Flashtrax to download to in case I fill them up. I can shoot 30 gigs that way. I doubt that will ever happen... I will likely get a 2 gig card some time in the future for those times when I don't want to interupt capturing the action.

I use DxO Optics for RAW processing and save as a TIFF or jpeg. I just do the whole batch all at once. I am looking forward to getting a dual core processor because DxO makes use of dual core. When I was shooting RAW +Jpeg, I noticed that the processed RAW images were consistently better than the processed jpegs. Alot better...

When shooting RAW, I don't use exposure compensation, but I do use Flash exposure compensation about +1 for most shots. RAW conversion will let you dial in some exposure adjustments on the computer, but getting the flash exposure with a more centered histogram seems to yield better pics overall.

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:42 PM   #7

What is Flashtrax and how much is it.

Where can I find it and is it easy to use.

I shoot basketball and shoot way too many pictures so this Flashtrax might be of interest.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:14 AM   #8
NHL

RP33 wrote:
Quote:
What is Flashtrax and how much is it.
They have several older models, but here's the latest: http://www.smartdisk.com/eWeb/smartd...lashtraxXT.asp

Quote:
I shoot basketball and shoot way too many pictures so this Flashtrax might be of interest.
You may be a perfect candidate for the microdrives :idea:

Like you I can easily fill several gigs of pictures in a studio shoot or while on travel:
1. You don't want to be swapping cards when the action is still hot
2. You're going to be storing the images on some kind of a hardisk anyway
3. Two 8G Seagate Photodrives costed me about $150 each a short while ago...

If you are worrying about handling a spinning device - you're more likely to drop the Flashtrax 8 times more often in the middle of the action than 1 Photodrive which stays in the camera (and not missing any action) the whole time if you're shooting at 1G - 4x more often if you're shooting with 2G.

-> The Photodrives cost less than the Flashtrax/CF cards and you gain the convenience of not downloading... Theses babies have come a long way so check their specs sheets for operating shock and drop data before doubting them, i.e. I would trust theses devices (designed for portable applications more than a standard HD mounted inside a case) or a laptop!

Oh yes and on travel I don't have to worry about bringing another bulky unit, and worst the charging cord (on top of other chargers, etc..!)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 3:13 AM   #9

RAW is great and I swear by it for must have shots or important events but for daily photography JPEG is the way to go.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote