Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 23, 2006, 1:17 AM   #1

I don't know about everyone else, but Canon's announcement of the 20D upgrade was a huge relief for me. It means that I don't need to upgrade my camera to keep up with the standards of next generation cameras. Hopefully we will start seeing people keep the same camera for alot longer then 2 years, just like film days.

Glad I can stop worrying about upgrades and concentrate on photography again.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2006, 2:06 AM   #2

I know how you feel, keeping up with any kind of technology gets expensive, not to mention you have to learn new things all the time.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'm hoping that with Digital Photography, both the photographers and the manufacturers will find a point where both are happy. This way we will keep our cameras longer. I know I bought a Minolta X-570 back in 1992 and I still have it (don't use it :roll today, along with my EOS Elan II.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Dave Porter
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 2:34 AM   #3

I'm sure camera manufacturers are going to keep making improvements to existing models that will benifit the photographer, but hopefully the announcement of the 30D means the end of the megapixel race.

The reason why megapixels are so important is that the agency I submit images to has 8 megapixels as its minumum requirement. Therefore, if the 30D had come out with 12 and the bar was lifted, it would have been quite possible that the agency would have lifted its requirements, forcing an upgrade from me.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 3:55 AM   #4

JohnReid wrote:
Quote:
The reason why megapixels are so important is that the agency I submit images to has 8 megapixels as its minumum requirement. Therefore, if the 30D had come out with 12 and the bar was lifted, it would have been quite possible that the agency would have lifted its requirements, forcing an upgrade from me.
If you keep telling yourself enough, you will believe it.
Canon messed up with this 20D upgrade bigtime. Uninspired.
I expected and needed 10 megapixels. This was a bust-out
useless release on Canon's part.
Wayne Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:57 AM   #5

It seems a number of people dont quite understand the concept of research and development. Canon does not have a whole draw full of finished projects waiting to stick into each new camera so they can bring out a brand new camera to tempt you away from your old camera. they bring out a camera according to the technology that they have developed. If you wrote down everything you wanted for a camera you would be waiting another 20 years for them to get it all done, or else it would cost so much no one could afford it. It is not intended to replace the current model, it is merely a refinement due to the research that has since been completed, so basically it is the same model updated slightly with the research they have completed to this point in time. research and development takes time and money.
It isnt meant to tempt you away from your current camera as your current camera is meant to last, it is just adding the current technology when it becomes available. could you imagine how much it would cost if every time they developed one tweak they added it and had to write new instructions and new packaging? How many people really want to replace their camera every time a new one comes out? Not many, so there is no market to build a camera that is so much better than the last that it is obsolete to the point you need to change. Really what it is meant for is to replace much older models than the current one that are starting to get to their use by date, so its not about reinventing the camera but adding improvements when they become available and when it is economical to do so.
Mark47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:04 AM   #6
NHL

Mark47 wrote:
Quote:
... so its not about reinventing the camera but adding improvements when they become available and when it is economical to do so.
Exactly!

... and I understand the manufacturing side quite well - they re-design out the cost (by using common parts such as the larger LCD used on all others bodies, Digic II, etc... more volume / lower cost) to effectively underprice the competition.

Like someone else said in another thread, most other additional features could be implemented by just a firmware upgrade...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:57 AM   #7

Yep! agree Canon made the right move here,
and hopefully the rest of the remaining real camera manufacturers see the light and start to follow.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:17 PM   #8

Twenty years from now, we'll be talking about gigapixels instead of megapixels, and Bayer Interpolation will take its place next to the Daguerreotype. Meanwhile, let's have fun with what we've got.
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:32 PM   #9

in a hundred years time it will be computer implants and you will just think the picture into your computer. Pixels will no longer exist, instead it will be some sort of plasma so no matter how much you blow it up there will be no change as there are no dots, thats if they are still doing 2 dimensional photography then, possibly reconstructed on an atomic scale like in the holodec on Star trek, so lets not complain they didnt incorporate that with this model, the grass is green enough on this side of the fence, even without photoshoping it.
Mark47 is offline   Reply With Quote