Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:55 PM   #11

Victor,

It seems you treat your 300D quite "rough" - but it's good it is still surviving! I've got a 350D (Rebel XT) and have occasionally got it a bit web from waterfall spray, a bit of range, snow, etc... but I'm vary.... still I think many people knock the quality of the Canon Rebels, but they seem quick hardy at the end of the day.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:14 PM   #12
NHL

This is so funny... :lol: :-) :G

The megapixels race will continue regardless of wether Canon wanted to play or not!
-> Everyone is singing the same blues now very similar to the Nikon folks a year ago when the table were turned!

Check the medium format - no problem with either the dynamic range or megapixels there.
No wonder both Fuji and Pentax want to join in the game :idea:
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:41 PM   #13

I have followed this thread carefully. Basically there are two camps basically: megapixel maniacs and the non-mega pixel manics. I would rather go with the latter group.

The questions is, in real terms, does having 12 million pixels make a difference unless you are making really large prints. I shoot in raw and have been able to print a 1200 mm by 600mm of very high quality pic using 350D. While of course professional aspects of a camera do matter, these are suffused with personal tastes which makes it difficult to distinguish between what is subjective and what is objective about any individual camera.

What I hope to see in the near future are facts from those using the new Canon 30D. In this way we shall know whether it has an edge over the 20D or any other camera in the same range.

As a personal decision, I won't upgrade until I have read sufficiently and known whether there is good reason to upgrade.

Regards. Jaki
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:03 AM   #14
Administrator

Some people have a genuine need for more megapixels.

If you're shooting landscapes with lots of fine detail, then you may need a much higher resolution model if you plan on printing at larger sizes and need sufficient quality for critical review.

If you're shooting portraits, you may be just fine with a lower resolution image, depending on your use for it.

Here is an interesting discussion on the subject. See Lin Evan's posts HERE

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 3:09 AM   #15

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Victor,

It seems you treat your 300D quite "rough" - but it's good it is still surviving! I've got a 350D (Rebel XT) and have occasionally got it a bit web from waterfall spray, a bit of range, snow, etc... but I'm vary.... still I think many people knock the quality of the Canon Rebels, but they seem quick hardy at the end of the day.

Paul
What is the point of a DSLR if you cant use it to photograph bad weather and major action even in the element? Nothing. Now I bet someone has had 1 bad experience with a weather hurting a camera but if there is lightning or something going on in bad weather I have no worries because I know my camera can handle it.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 3:38 AM   #16

Aumma45 wrote:
Quote:

As a personal decision, I won't upgrade until I have read sufficiently and known whether there is good reason to upgrade.

Regards. Jaki
Its not meant as an upgrade for the current model, its just the natural evolution. Its meant for people buying a new camera for the first time, or else people whos old camera before the 20D has reached its limits. When your 20D reaches its limit there will probably be another one or two new releases. Manufacturers are not looking at their cameras thinking they are junk and how can they cram as much new stuff into it as possible to make it as good as possible, they are simply refining and making adjustments as they become available. So they havent sat down and gone "right lets look at how much new technology we can cram into this new camera to make it as super duper as we can", its not about replacing one camera with an entirely new model, its about refining the current model with improvements as they occur . If you want more megapixels they have already accomodated that, with the 5d etc, so obviously thats only going to change when economics dictate.
Mark47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 6:05 AM   #17
NHL

1. No one is implying the 30D(or 20D) is a 'bad' camera
2. It's not about megapixels either - otherwise everyone would have stopped @ 6Mp with so many good cameras around already... (I personnaly think that the 1-year old KM-7D is a better upgrade still) :roll:
3. The number of pixels will increase regardless of Canon

Like it was said many times, this 30D is re-designed with a lower cost target so it can be priced cheaper than the competitions: There's really nothing new since most features like the 1/3 step ISO, faster start-up, and improved battery time is already in the Nikon (with a battery gauge to boot).

Also it was wrong to attack Wayne Birch because, the D200 is a more 'rugged' camera with better weather sealings. It's more of mini D2x than a 5D for example and more megapixels on a 1.6x camera is better for long lenses than a 5D. While it is good to see the ISO in the viewfinder, I much prefer to turn the grid/scale ON/OFF in my viewfinfer like on the Nikon... The camera also has a NEMA input for GPS which clearly put it more in the 'pro' than 'sumer' camp!

Pentax already announced their 10Mp dSLR and Sony has yet to release their 10Mp version! The megapixel race will continue wether we want it or not! Also bear in mind that Sony do not make just 1 version of a CCD or CMOS - they have (and always do) multiple versions spec'ed to different manufacturers targeting different color, resolution, noise, or even some dynamic range concerns that everyone here is addressing.

The point is this: it won't be another 12 to 18 months again before we see another Canon :idea:
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:07 AM   #18

I thought Pentax was now becoming Samsung.
http://www.samsungcamerausa.com/news....asp?newsid=94

Konica/minolta was Sony.
Olympus went with Panasonic
Contax it out of it altogether.
Hasselblad was now owned by a Hong-Kong consortium
Leica now controled by the French Hermis Co.
Nikon is no longer making film bodies after 2006.

The playing field is really changeing, all these former good makes are now make by appliance and heavy equipment manfacturers.

Some like Pentax are still releasing things under their own name, but for how long, their "partners" have all the big bucks from making tractors and toasters.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:17 AM   #19

VictorEM83 wrote:
Quote:
What is the point of a DSLR if you cant use it to photograph bad weather and major action even in the element? Nothing. Now I bet someone has had 1 bad experience with a weather hurting a camera but if there is lightning or something going on in bad weather I have no worries because I know my camera can handle it.
Yeah, you have a point... actually it sounds like you use your DSLR like I got used to using my P&S (it goes with me EVERYWHERE, and I've used it in rain, wind, snow, etc!) Maybe I'm just too concerned coz my DSLR is newer and more expensive...

But yes I guess it would survive a bit of bad weather, so long as I don't decide to drop it in a lake or whatever. I'm not so sure a camera would survive a direct lightning strike, though- however if the choice were between me and the camera, I'd happily let even my camera and favourite lens go up in smoke!! :roll:

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:24 AM   #20
NHL

PeterP

The playing field is changing for sure...

Samsung has Schneider, Sony has Zeiss, and of course we all know Leica is making lenses for Nikon now. Interesting future indeed! :lol: :-) :G