Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:24 AM   #21

And to all you others..

JimC, interesting and informative read of Lin Evan's post. Thanks for the link.

Jaki, Peter, NHL, Mark... yes you all make valid points.

I think the MP's will still increase for some time. The 30D will maybe make people (esp new DSLR buyers) question whether they need more megapixels as "criteria no 1" or look at other features, as well as saving some cash to invest in glass!

Sure other cameras (e.g. Nikon D200 and KM 7D) have a different set of features / benefits compared to the 30D, but in the end most if not all new DSLR cameras perform well and it depends more on the skill behind the camera, not the R&D or marketing departments of camera firms what sort of output it going to be produced.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:41 AM   #22

30D vs 20D

Check all the new features :
  • 8.2 Megapixel APS-C size CMOS sensor [/*]
  • 5 fps and 30 large JPEG frame burst [/*]
  • 2.5", 230K pixel, 170ยบ wide viewing angle LCD screen [/*]
  • Picture Style image processing parameters [/*]
  • Spot metering and High Precision 9-point AF system [/*]
  • DIGIC II image processor with 0.15 sec start-up time [/*]
  • Digital Photo Professional RAW processing software [/*]
  • 100,000 cycle shutter durability and rugged magnesium alloy body [/*]
  • Simultaneous RAW and JPEG recording [/*]
  • Wide 100-3200 ISO range [/*]
  • E-TTL II Flash [/*]
  • PictBridge compatibility [/*]
  • Complete compatibility with all Canon EF and EF-S lenses and EX-series Speedlites [/*]
  • USB 2.0 Hi-Speed and Video Out connectivity [/*]
Only 1 new feature I count is the Spot metering :!:
AnhNamUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 2:00 PM   #23
NHL

AnhNamUSA wrote:
Quote:
... Only 1 new feature I count is the Spot metering :!:
- and even here this feature is a catch-up, both KM and Nikon (Pentax too) have it already!

-> In a few short months, this 30D looks like the odd man out among the others 10Mp dSLR offerings...

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 3:15 PM   #24

Man, I am going to upgrade to 30D only for that direct print function. That alone would save me cost of a brand new PC andPS CS2 not to mention my valuable time.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 3:17 PM   #25
Administrator

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
Man, I am going to upgrade to 30D only for that direct print function. That alone would save me cost of a brand new PC andPS CS2 not to mention my valuable time.
I didn't see a smiley on that one. :-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:46 AM   #26

Just want to say thanks to all folks: NHL, Paul, Peter, JimC, Mark47 and Victor. This has been a very informative thread.

There are many interestests involved from the time a camera rolls out of the production line to the time the user owns its.

I think what counts most is what the owner requires the camera for. This will determine what features are necessary, whether it is affordable, and the skills behind the camera. In these repects then, megapixels, this or that feature comes into play.
I doubt it that we will all agree that one brand of camera is the camera.

Finally, I think, just an opinion, that new models of cameras are rolling of the production line a bit too fast. :G Puts stress on the consumers to buy the new model.:homey: Regards. Jaki
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 7:35 AM   #27
NHL

Aumma45

Don't get me wrong - I have more Canon gears than most people going back to the all mechanical FT-b and F1-n to the electronic shutter A1's (but then I also have a collection of Minolta and Nikon equipments). Unlike others folks here who'll Oooh and Aaah @ everything Canon has to offer, I'm more critical than most especially to the wealth of excellent alternatives available out there especially when it comes to lenses... i.e. I don't shop strictly from the Canon catalog, but prefer to take my brand blinder off - not because I can't afford the L because I do have a few already (including some older FD's L too)!

Camera's used to be a specialty products, but now it's shifting more toward to the electronics where mass-market and Moore's law play a larger role whether people like it or not! I don't want a faster PC (I'm not into gaming) either, but here too dual-cores and muti-gigs come at you faster and cheaper than you can wink your eye... :-)

I also find it hilarious to sneer at Samsung, since if anyone happens to open their camera they'll find a few Samsung IC's in there - Not the least almost if not all the CF flash cards come from a Samsung (or a Toshiba) factory with a different vendor label on them.

Sony too is an odd animal - they practically own the market in CCD and recently branched to CMOS with the D2x. Every digicams including Canon's has a Sony's sensor inside -> Their market share in sensors is HUGE.

OK so Canon does make a few larger CMOS for their dSLRs, but then we still have Kodak who practically covers everything else with their high-performance and large dynamic range sensors (just checks all the various digital backs for medium format) that everyone is after (They just need to work on their cost)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:15 AM   #28

I almost died of mirth NHL. You have a profound sense of humour. But importantly, thanks for the information. I can see you are a very well informed gentleman. Regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:30 AM   #29
Administrator

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Sony too is an odd animal - they practically own the market in CCD and recently branched to CMOS with the D2x. Every digicams including Canon's has a Sony's sensor inside -> Their market share in sensors is HUGE.
Not "every", and Panasonic and Sharp seem to be gaining market share fast as CCD sensor suppliers for digicams produced by other manufacturers.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 8:34 PM   #30

There are numerous mentions of "Sony" on this thread. I will do my best to stay

clear of any cameras with their name on it, or parts in it. They have a nasty habit

of just getting up one morning, and getting out of a business. The latest two

examples that affected me are:

1. Satellite Radios

2. PDA's

Both items are more popular than ever, but Sony just left both businesses.
alund is offline   Reply With Quote