Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 17, 2006, 9:42 PM   #31

I started this thread and have read with great interest
all the replies so far. Many have been enlightening. I
am still not convinced that the 30D is what I expected
as far as a great upgrade to the 20D, but also there still
has not been a thorough final review posted by the main
camera reviewers.

I need the larger MP's like the D200 sometimes for studio
shooting where I can get the utmost detail. For general
photography, 8 MP's especially RAW is enough for me and
I expect most folks too. What is surprising is that Canon
knew the anticipation of folks expecting a camera like the
Nikon D200, but they basically re-did the 20D.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how well the 30D
actually performs once reviewed and in the hands of real
users. My wallet is closed for now.:roll:

Wayne.
Wayne Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:22 PM   #32

NHL wrote:

Quote:
Camera's used to be a specialty products, but now it's shifting more toward to the electronics where mass-market and Moore's law play a larger role whether people like it or not! I don't want a faster PC (I'm not into gaming) either
I've never got into the "gaming-thing" either. "kill-kill-kill"... What's the point?
Camera's have become so heavily dependant on electronics
and chips. It's good and bad. :roll:

SLR's used to not even need a battery! :!:

But I'll take a modern DSLR anyday versus what we had.
"ASA" 400 film was as lousy and noisy as ISO 1600 in
earlier DSLR's. Now folks complain when ISO 1600 isn't
clean. :roll:

Wayne.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 3:34 PM   #33

Wayne Birch wrote:
Quote:

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how well the 30D
actually performs once reviewed and in the hands of real
users. My wallet is closed for now.:roll:

Wayne.
My wallet just opend today and I got the 30d, I had a Rebel xt befor and wanted to get the 20D, but the 30D is only 150 $CAD more ,so I had to go for it, well I have to say if I hada 20D I dont think I would run out and get the 30D, like I did today.........................Hamlet T.
ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:09 PM   #34

I think we are comparing Apple and Oranges,┬* at least on price.┬* The very nice D200 is about $400 more (about $1700 versus around $1300 for the 30D not counting the obligatory $100 bucks for Nikons software.┬* ┬*The 30D is a nice replacement for the 20D,┬* both a more Pro camera then┬* rebel xt body which is available for around $750 (which is what I own).┬* The market truly is fast moving and the features continue to improve and prices are heading down.┬* As all are aware the 5D is a market leader in the unique area of full size sensor (though not everyone wants/needs that).┬* ┬*And I assume┬* that at some point Canon will grant peoples wish for a camera like the D200 only with a new leap frog of the moment.┬* Nobody makes the best for long, there is constant innovation and everone's needs are different.┬*┬*** I also think that the anti shake technology that has been inovated by Konika/Minolta/Panasonic needs to be adapted by all manufatures.┬* ┬*A couple of stops would make a huge difference on almost any lens.┬* **For what┬* it is worth as great as the Nikon 200 is, I understand there are some circumtances where it is a noiser camera then others.┬* ┬*Others more knowledgable then I would have to discuss the circumstances.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 3:40 PM   #35

The 30D can hold its own against the d200 for a number of reasons.┬* First, there isn't much gained in terms of resolution in the two extra megapixals.┬* Second, the Canon has much better noise control.┬* Pictures taken at 3200 ISO are usable with the Canon, whereas they are totally unusable with the Nikon.┬* In fact, they are unusable at 1600 ISO.┬* Lastly, some reviews say the autofocus on the Canon is much better and more accurate.┬* Canon could have tossed in a couple more megapixals, but they didn't need to.┬* They took an excellent camera, the 20 D, and enhanced it.┬* What wasn't broke wasn't changed.┬* Nikon, on the other hand had to make major improvments.┬* The d100 also had noise problems, but also focusing problems and it suffered from moire and tunneling.┬* The d200 is┬* a major improvement over the d100 and it represents a major over haul.┬* The 20D didn't need a major over haul, just some improvements, which it got.Now, having said all that I want to say both are excellent cameras and represent an evolution of improvement over previous lines.┬* If you are used to using Nikon cameras and are familiar with the Nikon controls then the d200 will probably appeal more to you.┬* And if you've used other EOS cameras in the past then the D30 is going to be easier for you to use and that's how users are going to line up in when it all shakes out in my opinion.
Jon_Doh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 12:17 PM   #36

So I guess us 20d owners should save up the dough we have and buy a 1 series? I myslef was kinda dissapointed in the 30d's features. My next camera is a 1 series hopefully.:?
ACDCROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:47 PM   #37

Quote:
My wallet just opend today and I got the 30d, I had a Rebel xt befor and wanted to get the 20D, but the 30D is only 150 $CAD more ,so I had to go for it, well I have to say if I had┬*a 20D I dont think I would run out and get the 30D, like I did today.........................Hamlet T.┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*┬*
Happy shooting, Hamlet.
Must be quite a "physical-size-weight" shock versus the
tiny XT, huh? Stick on a Bigma 50-500 and have some back
pain medicine ready after a day shoot. :-)
Old Mar 31, 2006, 12:16 AM   #38

ACDCROCKS wrote:
Quote:
So I guess us 20d owners should save up the dough we have and buy a 1 series? I myslef was kinda dissapointed in the 30d's features. My next camera is a 1 series hopefully.:?
If I had a 20D I'd be sitting tight and enjoying a fine
camera 'til Canon brings out a really good upgrade in this
range. I'm thinking of jumping to the dark side since the
D200 is so sweet but would require new glass here. PIA.

Wayne.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 12:19 PM   #39

Wayne, do a search in Google on the d200 and look at all the reviews, with pictures, that show the very high noise problems the d200 has along with softness.┬* You're much better off with the 30D or if you can afford it, the 5D.
Jon_Doh is offline   Reply With Quote