Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:42 AM   #1

I was waiting for many months for the new 20D updated cam
versus buying the 20D, and then the Nikon D200 comes out
with pro specs. I surely expected great things
from Canon soon. The 30D is announced finally, and what do
we see... A larger LCD and Pict-Bridge connectivity.

Wooo-hooo!

No weather sealing. No more mega-pixels to at least equal
the D200. No real ISO reading in the viewfinder. Lots of
ISO variations in 1/3 steps. They got rid of the plain and
simple "Parameters" and had to replace them with easier-to-
understand "Picture Styles", or whatever they're called?

There is very little that makes me want to spend another
$3,000 cdn to upgrade my 300D to this new cam (taxes,
battery grip and extra battery). Many are happy that the
megapixel race is finished here in Canonland, and I think
that's bs. I was willing to spend again for a camera that
would last me the next 3 years and then Canon choked!???

Anyone else feel let down with the 30D? :?:
Wayne Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:36 AM   #2
NHL

I tend to agree

The grass do look greener on the 'other side' with the D200 and the D2x both 1.6x cameras :idea:

-> The wildcard now is what Sony going to do with the KM-7D with built-in antishake since they already manufactured both the 10.1 Mpixels CCD and the 12.8 Mpixels CMOS for Nikon...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:06 AM   #3
Administrator

NHL wrote:
Quote:
-> The wildcard now is what Sony going to do with the KM-7D with built-in antishake since they already manufactured both the 10.1 Mpixels CCD and the 12.8 Mpixels CMOS for Nikon...
The rumour mill has it that Sony will not be making any DSLR announcements at PMA.

But, then again, it appears that Sony will have an invitation only press conference on this Saturday (25th). So, the rumours may or may not be accurate. We'll just need to wait and see.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:51 AM   #4

Disagree,
the 30D is not a pro level body so why would you expect pro features like weather sealing in it.
How many megapixels do you need for the 5*7 or 8*10 most consumers ever print, 8mp is already over kill.

The 30D is just fine as a consumer replacement of the outgoing 20D.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=83652&forum_id=37

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=37

Peter
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:16 AM   #5
NHL

JimC wrote:
Quote:
The rumour mill has it that Sony will not be making any DSLR announcements at PMA.
I'm not thinking about PMA - I believe they already said by summer

I have all the time in the world, but ready to 'upgrade' however not to the 30D... :sad:
-> A 5D might make more sense for my landscape shots (but I still need something for birdings)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:27 AM   #6
Administrator

I'm in no hurry to upgrade from my Maxxum 5D (I've only had it about 4 or 5 months now).

For me to upgrade, I'd want higher usable ISO speeds and better dynamic range. The Megapixel increase wouldn't matter for my limited needs. Ditto for faster frame rates, etc. That's not important to me (although I can understand if others need those things).

But, I do like to take photos in dimly lit clubs and restaurants, and sometimes ISO 3200 isn't quite enough, even with anti-shake and a bright prime in some of the clubs lit only by a few small candles scattered around the tables. The ability to stop down the aperture a bit more for better DOF, while still getting fast enough shutter speeds would be a plus from higher usable ISO speeds, too

Don't get me wrong, I've been very impressed at ISO 3200 noise levels from my Maxxum 5D, and I could push it a bit more if I had to. But, I'd love to have another stop or two available for those really low light venues.

Old Feb 23, 2006, 2:19 PM   #7

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I'm in no hurry to upgrade from my Maxxum 5D (I've only had it about 4 or 5 months now).

For me to upgrade, I'd want higher usable ISO speeds and better dynamic range.
Yes Jim, this is what I also have on my "DSLR improvements wish-list" (are all the R&D guys of camera companies reading this... pleeeease!?) Similarly to your Maxxum 5D, my Canon XT / 350D is not going to be replaced soon...

JimC wrote:

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I've been very impressed at ISO 3200 noise levels from my Maxxum 5D, and I could push it a bit more if I had to. But, I'd love to have another stop or two available for those really low light venues.

hmmmm.. you wrote: "another stop or two". That means ISO 6400 or ISO 12800! Wow, your dreams are about as crazy as mine! But I hope we'll see usable ISO's like this sometime in our lifetimes.... Maybe (with some technological breakthrough) they'll invent a usable ISO51200 in the next 20 to 50 years (hopefully before I die!), which will be cool with a 1.6x crop DSLR, we could shoot in dimly lit bars at f11 and get nice bright photos with a reasonable depth of field, withOUT a tripod!!

:| Cool!!

Paul

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:06 PM   #8
Administrator

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
hmmmm.. you wrote: "another stop or two". That means ISO 6400 or ISO 12800! Wow, your dreams are about as crazy as mine! But I hope we'll see usable ISO's like this sometime in our lifetimes....
We had ISO 6400 available years ago. We're going backwards. ;-)

The Kodak DCS 620X and 720X had ISO speeds up to ISO 6400 available (although they were only calibrated through ISO 4000), and some Kodak owners were using them at ISO 25,600 by deliberately underexposing by 2 stops and pushing them back up in PP.

If you run some of their ISO 6400 images through modern tools, they clean up nicely (perfectly usable Images), and image processing has improved a lot since they were introduced.

I came very close to pressing the buy button when I saw a 720X a while back at a bargain price on Ebay. But, I came to my senses since I wouldn't want to lug a camera that large and heavy around all the time.

They were only 2 Megapixels using an APS-C size sensor. But, given advancements in technology, it seems like we'd be able to get even better high ISO performance and dynamic range now, as long as we didn't try to stuff in too many photosites without increasing sensor size.

Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:18 PM   #9

Wayne you are very miss informed, 1st you dont need a new battery grip BG-E2 works on the 30D. The ISO is viewable in the viewfinder than ISO's in 1/3 spot increments it huge, to those of us who shoot in varying light do to weather, or different venues.

Maybe you should consider learning about a product before bashing it. its you the uninformed masses that makes the lives of the informed hell because you feel that you need a million mega pixels.

Have you ever used for 20D in the rain? I have used my 300D in rain, snow, dust storms, and have even had it frozen over from sleet and it still works. 'Weather sealing' may be great on a 1 series body but if you read up on it they are for the most extreme conditions like getting dropped into arctic waters and pulled back out. So your everyday DSLR will hold up to any weather you will live though.

Also consider this there is a 12.8 MP canon and 16 MP canon camera go buy that if you need more MP.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:53 PM   #10

Jim, yeah it would be really interesting if one of the companies had some R&D (and funds!) to spare and would develop a 2MP camera (or even as low as the good ol' 1.3 mp!) NOW - using the latest technology, trying to get the best quality (low noise) at high ISO settings.

Imagine a 1.3mp Full Frame DSLR, it would have GREAT characteristics if you only needed to shoot for e.g. computer screen resolution (1280 x 1024 pixels) - or print at small 10x15cm (4x6 inch) resolution! What amazing dynamic range could they pull out of that?

It seems that radically improving dynamic range is as big a challenge (if not bigger) than noise at high ISOs (e.g. 6400!)

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote