Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 28, 2003, 6:07 PM   #1

Default Detail Crop Macro from 10D

Actually, it's the leg of the Ceasars Atlas moth I posted in the other shot. It's a 1:1 crop from a shot with the Canon 10D using a Canon 100-400L IS lens with a Nikon closeup filter. It's only interesting because of the novelty of using the 100-400 at 400mm from 18 inches for a "macro" shot with fill flash.

Lin

Last edited by Lin Evans; Feb 1, 2015 at 4:00 PM.
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2003, 6:30 PM   #2

now that is totally awesome.........i looked at your site and was in awe..........you truly have the talent some wish for.....
Hawkeye12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2003, 2:03 PM   #3

Lin

Did you use an extention tube to get it to focus at 18 inches? That seems quite close... I didn't think that lens had a macro mode built in.

I have to say that that is a lens I'm considering with a 10D. Looks like it produces very nice results. (I'd be using it as a starter birding lens, but I'm certainly not against taking pictures of other subjects.)
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2003, 3:16 PM   #4

Hi Eric,
No, the 100-400L only focuses at about 7 feet, but when you put a closeup filter (in this case, a Nikon filter) on (I would suggest the Canon 500D) you focus very close.

Lin
Old Mar 30, 2003, 1:47 AM   #5

Hi Hawkeye,
Thanks - it's nice when one's hobby and profession can overlap and it gives me an opportunity to use some of the newer equipment which improves daily. I'm sure there will be another round of new releases next year to give us all even more choices.

Best regards,

Lin
Old Mar 30, 2003, 8:35 AM   #6

Lin,

I'm very interested in this exposure. The composition and quality of the image is amazing, and I commend you on that. Very beautiful work. It's the exposure that I find interesting. Let me see if I understand this right:

- You used a 10D with 550EX on the hot shoe
- Camera at f16 and 1/500th, ISO 400
- The equivalent of the Canon 500 closeup filter
- You were about 18 inches from the subject

Couple questions:

- Approx what focal length was the 100-400IS lens set at?
- Did you have the IS feature of the lens turned on or off?
- I'm curious about the camera settings. What mode was the camera in, how was the flash configured, etc.

This image is really nice and I apologize for asking so many questions. As I said in one of my earlier posts - I'm constantly learning with my D60 after being a completely manual medium format guy for a long time. It's so much fun, and it's changed my photography so much, but I've got so much to learn!

Thanks,
Norm
norm911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 9:35 AM   #7

Lin

Thanks for the info about the closeup filter. I assume you are talking about this (well, this is the Canon, but the concept)
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...ku=ICA58CU500D

I never knew something like that existed. All the nature photography stuff I've read have mentioned using tubes for macro work with the longer lenses. Are there any benefits/down sides with a closeup filter over a tube?
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 9:36 AM   #8

Hi Norm,

The camera was in manual mode with evaluative metering. Contrast +1, Saturation +1, Sharpness Default, Shutter 1/500th, Aperture F16.

Lens 100-400IS with IS on, Focal length 400mm. Nikon T5 closeup filter with stepdown ring from 77 to 62mm. Distance approx 18 inches. 550EX Flash on hotshoe in high speed sync mode with diffuser down to soften and disperse flash.

The normal minimum focus distance of the 100-400L is about 6.6 feet, but the 5T (or 250D/500D Canon) greatly shortens the focus distance and makes the focal range to about 18-22 inches.

Best regards,

Lin