Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 27, 2006, 5:39 PM   #1

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new digital camera. I bought my current camera (Olympus 4040Z) about six years ago and have used it loads but now seek something better.

I've decided it might be time to go down the DSLR route as I want better quality images and more flexibility.

The only bits holding me back are were the zoom is concerned. I just don't know how my choice Canon 350D compares against what the 4040Z used to offer. Can it do the same level of zoom and macro shots or do I need to buy specific lenses to achieve the same?

The Olympus lens is : Olympus 3x multivariator zoom lens 7.1 - 21.3mm, F1.8 - F2.6, 10 lenses in 7 groups (Equivalent to 35 - 105mm lens in 35mm format)

Got no idea what the Canon offers on the standard 18-55mm lens.

Someone please help!

Thanks
Frank

fastfranki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2006, 6:36 PM   #2

fastfranki wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new digital camera. I bought my current camera (Olympus 4040Z) about six years ago and have used it loads but now seek something better.

I've decided it might be time to go down the DSLR route as I want better quality images and more flexibility.

The only bits holding me back are were the zoom is concerned. I just don't know how my choice Canon 350D compares against what the 4040Z used to offer. Can it do the same level of zoom and macro shots or do I need to buy specific lenses to achieve the same?

The Olympus lens is : Olympus 3x multivariator zoom lens 7.1 - 21.3mm, F1.8 - F2.6, 10 lenses in 7 groups (Equivalent to 35 - 105mm lens in 35mm format)

Got no idea what the Canon offers on the standard 18-55mm lens.

Someone please help!

Thanks
Frank

Well... you almost sorta answered your own question.

By and far, the better image, handling, speed, and quality lies with Canon.

But the kit lens is only a starter quality level lens. I've used it, quite well, even for my beginning magazine work.

The Canon kit lens is 18-55mm, on the Canon XT body, which with the 1.6X (multiply this with the 18-55 range), turns the Canon kit lens into a 28.8 - 88mm f3.5-5.6 lens.

It's not made for low light, but you can always bump the ISO setting in the Canon and still blow away the Olympus.

In all honesty, I would recommend this as a starter kit.

The Canon Rebel XT body only from B&H Photo or Buydig.com. You'll pay more at B&H, but they are the premier online camera store. Buydig.com is awesome as well, but more an online retailer for almost any electronics.

With all that said. Get the camera by itself. Now you need a lens.

I highly recommend the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 lens. It covers the normal range, gives you the low light ability you need, and it a faster overall zoom. You can get it for about 400.00 dollars I believe (I might be wrong) at Sigma4less.com (a reputable Sigma dealer)

There's the very basic of basic kits. Not including memory cards (zipzoomfly.com for the best prices, or BHphoto when they have a special.) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Like right now, BHPhoto has Sandisk Ultra II high speed 2 Gig cards for 89.99 plus S/H. I bought two for my business. Great price for a great card. You'll be hard pressed to find a better deal.

If you want more reach and still a fast low light lens, look at the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 at Sigma4less.com.

Lastly, if you need a fast telelphoto (basketball, gymnastics, etc) indoors? The Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 is the best for the price. The Canon L lens 70-200mm f2.8 beats it in contrast and quality by 10 out of 10, the Sigma is I'd say, a 9 out of 10.

I stand behind what I've told you tonight. I own the Sigma 70-200 and the 18-50 and use bought commercially, and for home use. They've not failed me yet... "yet"! =o)

Hope I helped!!

-tlmiller10
Tim Miller Photography
http://tmillerphoto.com
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:15 PM   #3

I generally agree with what tlmiller10 said. I just wanted to add this bit of info:
The lens on that Olympus is the same as a 35 - 105mm F1.8 - F2.6. That is a stunningly fast lens... it will be very hard to match that aperture. But as Tim said, you can increase the ISO on the camera to gain back some speed that you'll loose with the Canon or Sigma lenses.

The kit lens is a bit shorter than the lens the 4040 has. So you have to think about what type of images you take more. Do you do more wide angle or telephoto work? If you do more wide angle then the kit lens might do very well for you. If you do more telephoto stuff then you'll probably find yourself wanting something with more reach. The sigma 18-50 that Tim suggests would be closer to the aperture you're used to with the 4040, but it would still not have as much telephoto reach. The 24-70 f2.8 might be a better choice then.

No matter what you do, I would suggest you not over-buy at this point. Get the camera with the kit lens and try it out. See what you're using it for and what it doesn't do well. Then you'll know what you should get. In other words, instead of guessing now you should try it out and learn what you really need later. Then you won't be wasting your money. You can always buy another lens and have it the next day, once you know you need it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:19 PM   #4

eric s wrote:
Quote:
I generally agree with what tlmiller10 said. I just wanted to add this bit of info:
The lens on that Olympus is the same as a 35 - 105mm F1.8 - F2.6. That is a stunningly fast lens... it will be very hard to match that aperture. But as Tim said, you can increase the ISO on the camera to gain back some speed that you'll loose with the Canon or Sigma lenses.

The kit lens is a bit shorter than the lens the 4040 has. So you have to think about what type of images you take more. Do you do more wide angle or telephoto work? If you do more wide angle then the kit lens might do very well for you. If you do more telephoto stuff then you'll probably find yourself wanting something with more reach. The sigma 18-50 that Tim suggests would be closer to the aperture you're used to with the 4040, but it would still not have as much telephoto reach. The 24-70 f2.8 might be a better choice then.

No matter what you do, I would suggest you not over-buy at this point. Get the camera with the kit lens and try it out. See what you're using it for and what it doesn't do well. Then you'll know what you should get. In other words, instead of guessing now you should try it out and learn what you really need later. Then you won't be wasting your money. You can always buy another lens and have it the next day, once you know you need it.

Eric
2nd... I reciprocate what Eric says as well. =o)

-tlmiller10
Tim Miller Photography
Old Feb 28, 2006, 4:59 PM   #5

thanks for the feedback folks. So in standard form will that lense match the 'macro' functionality of my Olympus or do I really need to look at a macro specific one?

Thanks

Frank
fastfranki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 5:49 PM   #6

fastfranki wrote:
Quote:
thanks for the feedback folks. So in standard form will that lense match the 'macro' functionality of my Olympus or do I really need to look at a macro specific one?

Thanks

Frank
These lenses do not even get close to true macro. A dedicated lens would be the best. Many dedicated Canon or Sigma macro lenses will blow your Olympus out of the water.

It's amazing what they can do.

-tlmiller10
Tim Miller Photography
Old Mar 1, 2006, 8:53 AM   #7
NHL

tlmiller10 wrote:
Quote:
These lenses do not even get close to true macro. A dedicated lens would be the best. Many dedicated Canon or Sigma macro lenses will blow your Olympus out of the water.
Especially the new APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO HSM: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...mp;navigator=3

:lol: :-) :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 5:33 PM   #8

Why would Sigma call it a Macro? its only 1:3.5 on the 70-300 it was 1:2 thats a bit closer but still not Macro! I had to add a "Macro filter" to get the 1:1 and its damn hard to focus/keep it steady handheld at 300mm
gaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 5:51 PM   #9

gaida wrote:
Quote:
Why would Sigma call it a Macro? its only 1:3.5 on the 70-300 it was 1:2 thats a bit closer but still not Macro! I had to add a "Macro filter" to get the 1:1 and its darn hard to focus/keep it steady handheld at 300mm
Partial macro is still better than no macro ability... I don't think I'll be upgrading from my APO version. Esepcially since I've never had flares, bad quality, or noise from the lens.

I can't recommend highly enough!

-tlmiller10
Tim Miller Photography
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:37 AM   #10

And if you add an extention tube or two you can turn it into a macro with only a slight loss of light.

Tubes might be a bit clunky to use, but they can turn a lens into a fairly good macro lens quickly. I've doen will with my 100-400 and some tubes. I'll get a macro lens some day, but for now I'm happy.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote