Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 6, 2006, 6:02 AM   #11

Picture quality on both may be similar...I have shot with my 20d for the past 4 months..about 3000 pictures so far...All I can say is the entire shooting experience is so good..camera is so solid and well built...each shot feels so crisp...and instant...shutter sound is also loud..whichI like personally...over all its an amazing experience shooting with the 20D.
Ragz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:26 PM   #12

well i decided to give the 350d back and wait till the 30d arrives in bigger stocks in germany, to see how the prices of the 20d bodie are going to evolve,at the end i'll probably even take a closer look at the 30d, i know its just an upgrade but if the price differences are just margial possible the better choice at the end. i will see. so faar hearing from the shops around it will be avaiable at the end of march early april, till then i have alot read up todo to see what lenses are avaiable and what could fit my need. there are so many new things to learn when it comes to dslr, i'm actualy very excited.

thnx guys for youre help so faar.

i need to read the lens forum a bit moreto see what ood and affordable macro and wide lenses would fit a 20d

dkmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:00 PM   #13

In Australia the 30d is selling for less than the 20d in retail shops.
Mark47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:41 PM   #14

Mark47 said "In Australia the 30d is selling for less than the 20d in retail shops."

I am in USA. Can I buy from Australia online? Would that be smart thing to do?

How much 30D is going for in Australia?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 6:31 PM   #15

This is from canon Australia:

EOS 30D Enthusiast Kit
RRP $3,298.00
EOS 30D w/18-55 II Kit
RRP $2,499.00
EOS 30D Body
RRP $2,299.00

see here:

http://www.canon.com.au/products/cam...gital_slr.html
YunusEmre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:38 PM   #16

The Uk has a good supply as we start the Commonwealth Games - will the Queen die and Charles be rejected as monarch? -- and I just got one for 800 quid. It's a fat cam. I kinda marvel at why our Yankee cousins do not have supply already... What about that giant, China? Has she been flooded with the 30d?
JIMMY_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 1:17 AM   #17

YunusEmre wrote:

They are the recommended prices, and also include sales tax,the body sells for 1,999 for non grey market, so thats 1,468 US. B&H sells for 1,399.95Prices on the 20d have since come down quite a bit, especially on eBay, so are now cheaper than the 30d. I just paid 1,759 delivered for my 30dwhich is 1,291 US.

If you are buying from another country you dont pay the sales tax which is 10%. You may however have to pay VAT but most of the time you can get away with it. In Australia if anything is under 1000, you dont pay any duty or sales tax, so often it works out cheaper to import it, especially lenses. Over a thousand its hit and miss if you get picked out for inspection.

Mark47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 6:17 PM   #18

I may be replying a little late to help your decision... However, somehow I don't quite understand your math. If you bought a 350D (no kit) with the 17-85 IS, or the 20D with the 17-85 IS, there should be quite a difference in price. From what I can tell, the 17-85 IS lens is good, but nothing spectacular. It also seems that the image quality is quite similar between the 20D and the 350D. So why don't you stick with the 350D and buy a good L lens?! One thing I agree with you, the 350D is too small for most people and is not comfortable to hold for long periods of time, even with the grip.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:13 AM   #19

Since the sensor size is the same for theXT & the 20D shouldn't the image quality between the two be equal (using the same lens) ?

D Humbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:41 AM   #20

well from what i readed the sensors are not the same.

i finally went with the 30d kit including the 17-85is lense which costs me around 400€ more than the body alone. got it this weekend and now i'm searching for a decent but small bag for it.

for the moment i don't want to buy further lenses but i already have some on my "list"...

but first i need to get used to the camrea , learn what she is capable of and how to handle here properly to get the best pictures out of her.
dkmac is offline   Reply With Quote