Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 8, 2006, 7:36 PM   #1

Can anyone figure this out?

I currently have an old film SLR that is giving troublewith one particular lens. This lens will work on other cameras but, not this one

The camera is an EOS 650 that was purchased by a family member around 1990. The lens is an EF 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5. Every step has been taken to try and get it to work. The mounts have been cleaned on both the camera and the lens, and many others have looked at this lens and have been unable to figure out why it works on other cameras and not this one. The 100-300mm lens that was purchased at the same time still works with this camera, and so does another lens. It seems that it only has problems with this lens.

Sometimes this lens will work with this camera too, but will stop working after a while.

Many of you have had experience with older film SLR's. Someone must know why this is happening?

Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 8:29 PM   #2

Can you give us any more information? As in, what do you mean when the lens doesn't work. Does itautfocus? Does the camera recognize it and show you an aperture value? Does the iris close when you take a picture? CAN you even take a picture? When it does work, does everything work? Have you noticed a pattern when it works and when it doesn't?

The EOS 650 was the first generation auto focus camera made by Canon. 1987 I think. Even though all Canon AF lenses are supposed to work with all AF bodies, maybe there is a problem due to the age.

When you look at your 650 without the lens, just below the mirror, do all the golden little contacts protrude just as far? And also on the lens, doall of the gold contacts appear to be in good condition?

Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:17 PM   #3

It will not take a picture. The mirror will flip up if you try to take a picture, but it will not come down. Then it will tell you the battery's dead, even if it isn't. when it is used it alsowill use up the battery more than other lenses. It will work perfectly fine until you take the picture.

It was used as the primary lens for this camera for about 12 years, when it first started to act up. It has had alot of use, but the contacts are still in good condition, and other lenses will work with this camera, so I doubt that it is the contacts on the camera itself.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 5:49 PM   #4

Actually I had a similar problem with a new 75-300mm zoom lens on my 20D. It would work intermittenly. I cleaned everything per instructions from the Canon service rep I talked to on the phone. Sometimes it would work on other cameras but not on mine. I fnally sent it in to Canon and they said there was damage to an internal circuit connection. Cost me $98 to fix it through Canon. It has worked fine now for over a year.
hollister_bulldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 8:12 PM   #5

Interesting...

Was the damage obvious when first brought the lens, or did it happed after awhile? This lens worked fine for about 12 years and then started to break down.