Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:36 AM   #1

Thank You in advance for helping me.

After I download the pictured off of my camera using the included software and I delete the pictures I still have a empty file on my card. How can I get rid of this empty file or am I doing something wrong. I am deleting the pictures in the camera using the all delete. Any ideas would be great.
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2006, 7:53 AM   #2

I believe the camera will make the folder everytime anyways. I think it makes a folder for every 100 pics, but i'm not really sure.

But to get rid of it, format the card in the camera, or use a card reader and format it.
when the card is in the reader: Go to My computer, right click on the drive your card is in, and click format.

There mabey other ways but thats how I do it.

Bucky Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 1:39 PM   #3

Bucky Badger & others,
I would NOT recommend cleaning off a card that way. It can work, but it can also invite problems.

By formatting it on your computer, you open the possability of formatting it incorrectly. If you format it incorrectly the card will no longer work on your camera. For example, if you format it NTFS or FAT32... no camera that I know of uses NTFS and only some can read FAT32.

The absolute best way to remove all the pictures from a card is to format the card *in the camera.* All the cameras I've owned have a "format" option in a menu. Use that.

Bucky is right, the empty folder is created by the camera and will always be there. Don't worry about it.

so this is what I do:
1) take pictures
2) take card out of camera and put it into a card reader
3) copy pictures off the camera and file them on my hard disk
4) put the card back into my camera and format it.

I do not delete or format the card in my computer.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 8:13 AM   #4

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Bucky Badger & others,
I would NOT recommend cleaning off a card that way. It can work, but it can also invite problems.

By formatting it on your computer, you open the possability of formatting it incorrectly. If you format it incorrectly the card will no longer work on your camera. For example, if you format it NTFS or FAT32... no camera that I know of uses NTFS and only some can read FAT32.

I do not delete or format the card in my computer.

Eric
Quote:
I have never had a problem formatting in the card reader and have been doing so for 5 years.
Bucky Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 5:41 PM   #5

Hi,

I do the same as Eric S accept for his step #4. I do not reformat. I DO delete all the files using the 20D.

Each time I use my card reader to copy a new set of files from the 20D I notice a collection of old empty folders. The new files are always in the newest set of folders.

I am sure doing a reformat (I also do this exclusively in the 20D) would puge these empty folders, but it isn't vital that you reformat every time. An empty folder takes insignificant space.

One thing I noticed is that by using the card reader vice the 20D to copy the image files to my PC, I lose the portrait rotation and I have to re-rotate all my portraits on the PC. That's a pain.

--paul
paternl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 5:44 PM   #6

I'm so lazy I use the USB cable.

I never take the card out of the camera.

lol.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:24 AM   #7

I use the same procedure as Erics for the same reasons and for the last 6 years...so far so good!

But what the heck - do it your way.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 12:20 PM   #8

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
I'm so lazy I use the USB cable.

I never take the card out of the camera.

lol.
I think that is a good way to do it. Fewer removals/inserts of the CF card the better. Also only 'writing' to the card on the camera is a good policy.
YunusEmre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 12:40 PM   #9

I agree UnusEMr.

The more time you plug in those cards, the more likely to "bung up" one of the contacts.

The next generation of digicams seem to be favoring wireless transmission of images from camera to computer.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote