Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:19 AM   #11

Hi, I am brand new to the camera world. I bought the 350D yesterday. I had an old Sony Mavica (used a floppy disk) that was stolen from me. I really enjoyed that camera because it was easy to use. Wow, this camera has a lot of jargon in the manuel that I have know idea about. What would you guys recommend that I do to learn about these things. The first thing that I noticed is I would like to have more zoom. I like to go to the race track and take pictures of the cars as they are launching. I think I just stepped into a whole new world.
3970010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 1:32 PM   #12
Administrator

3970010 wrote:
Quote:
Wow, this camera has a lot of jargon in the manuel that I have know idea about. What would you guys recommend that I do to learn about these things.
Take lots of photos and learn from your good and bad ones. ;-)

You can find some online lessons for your Canon here:

http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/index.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 6:05 PM   #13

JimC wrote:
Quote:
3970010 wrote:
Quote:
Wow, this camera has a lot of jargon in the manuel that I have know idea about. What would you guys recommend that I do to learn about these things.
Take lots of photos and learn from your good and bad ones. ;-)

You can find some online lessons for your Canon here:

http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/index.html

That site is pretty cool. Thank You for that.
3970010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 2:01 AM   #14

Hi,

I am also gravitating towards 350D. There was a lot of hesitancy in chosing between 350D and Nikon D50. What made me decide finally in favour of 350D was the Mirror Lock Up feature which is not present in D50. Is this feature as important as it is made out to be? I am new to the world of DSLR. Please help.
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 7:14 AM   #15

Wise,

Mirror lock up isn't just for dSLRs, it is feature of film SLR tppl. Most of us don't use it that often. It mostly for tripod shots and it makes the photos even sharper because the mirror stays up until the exposure is completed,minimizingthe effects of vibrations caused by the mirror returning to it's resting position. If you don't shoot a lot of tripodshots at longer exposures, this is something of lesser importance. However, having it will save you from upgrading to get it if you decide you must have it in the future. That'sa potentialhidden cost of the D50 verses the xt.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 7:54 PM   #16

a lot of people will think i'm stupid but i bought a tamron 28-300 and i love it. for outdoor shots with good light the pictures i've taken have been real good and the zoom is great. just one guys opinion
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 10:10 PM   #17

Thanks Wsadman1!
wise is offline   Reply With Quote