Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 12, 2006, 1:02 PM   #1

I was shooting yesterday afternoon with my Rebel 300D in the sports mode at a lacrosse match with plenty of light--ISO 400, Tv between 1/1000 to 1/2000 and Av between f5.6 and f8.

I used the Canon File Viewer utility to view the focal point and noticed that on most shots, no focal point was highlighted in red. On a very few one or more of the focal points was indicated by the red box. The images I looked at ranged from "almost in focus" to soft to completely out of focus. On those that seemed completely out of focus, nothing in the scene appeared to be in focus. I thought that if focus was not achieved you could not take the picture. If that is so why do I see completely out of focus shots. I wouldn't think camera shake would be a problem at these shutter speeds nor would I expect subject motion to be an issue either.

Any ideas my focus problems as well as thoughts on viewing focal points with Canon File Viewing Utility while shooting in sports mode?

By the way I was using a 70-300 mm USM Canon lens and most shots were zommed to 135 to 250 mm.
coachjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2006, 1:35 PM   #2

Look to see if thelens was set to manual focus.
philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 1:39 PM   #3

Hi Philby
No it was set on AF
Old Mar 12, 2006, 2:04 PM   #4

What you described sounds just like the lens was set to manual focus. I wonder if there was some dirt or grunge between the lens contacts and the camera body?
Old Mar 12, 2006, 4:03 PM   #5

The auto focus seemed to be operating--at least I could hear the lens adjusting. I just checked the contacts on the lens and on the camera body and they don't appear to be dirty or grungy.

I have never really been satisified with the focus of shots using this camera--too many soft pics. I can blame myself for some of the focus problems but not all. Maybe I'm too critical.

Should the Canon File Viewer Utility display the selected focus point(s) when shooting in sports mode??
Since you don't see the red dot in the view fiender for the fous point in sports mode, I wasn't sure whether the focal point indication would be displayed in the File Viewer utility. Apparently sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. When it is not displayed, does that mean that focus was not achieved on those shots.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 4:50 PM   #6

I just tried sports mode, I don't normally use it, the focus area didn't light up in the view finder when the shots were being taken and I didn't get a highlighted focus spot in the file viewer utility, just all of them showing black when I selected the icon. Everything was in focus however. I suppose that if multiple objects were moving or the camera was moving, it may pick the wrong object for a focus.