Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 13, 2006, 7:31 PM   #1

I currenty shoot both Digital and Film. I have a Canon Digital Rebal and a Canon Elan 7NE. I only have one EF-S lens the 18-55 kit lens which I plan on replacing probably with the 17-40F4L. My other lenses are the 28-75 Tamron F2.8 and the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 and my trust 50 1.8.

I shoot primarily portrait work for model portfolios. However, I would like to do more artisitic prints to frame and matt for sale.

I will get either the 30D or the 5D. I am not so concerned about telephoto zoom. I do like the idea af a full sized sensor to ease issues ofswitching from film to digital bodies.

I am leaning more towards the 5D because of full size sensor and higher resolution. I would like to be able to take a full length shot of a model at closer distances. I would also like for my lenses to be compatiable on either film or digital camera.

I also want something I am not going need to upgrade like Drebel as business gets more demanding. Most important thinkg to me is image quality and print size availabilities.

Have I already answered my own question 5D or am I missing something in the 30D?

Patrick
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2006, 9:49 PM   #2

I sell landscape prints online taken with my 20D, but I am upgrading to the 5D so I can print bigger as well. I don't want my next wall-hanger to be limited by the print size as a result of my camera. That being said, how large would a potential model photo be printed? A 20D/30D will handle 13x19 with ease, assuming you've got a great lens and solid technique. It seems that landscape photos have potential for larger prints, but I'm not in the model/portfolio business, so you tell me.

Chris M

www.imagineimagery.com
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:50 PM   #3

I just had some photos enlarged to 16x20 and mounted for a home show todisplay some of the homes my companyhas furnished materials for. I took these with my 20D and a sigma 18-55 f2.8 lens. Iprobably could have gone even a little larger, They came very sharp.But for what you are lookingfor, switching lensbetween digital and film maybe the 5D is your answer, unless you really want to jump in with both feet and get the 1Ds Mark II. Heck it's only money. With the improvements in digital image quality getting better by the day, how much longer do you think you will still be shooting with film?
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 1:35 AM   #4

You ask a great question about the film issue. I only started shooting film as a reesult of taking a photography class over at the college. The course requires a 35mm film camera and we develteope our own B&W. Frankly, I hateshooting film but it has been suggested to me if you ant to be a pro your should know both. I like the way medium format film looks but want to get this look with a digital process.

I think 13X19 would be large enough for what I am trying to accomplish as long as it is very sharp. I plan on getting a Canon i9900 wideformat printer which I think tops out at 13x19.

The 30D will work fine if it can give great prints at 13x19. I do plan on picking up the Canon 17-40 F4L and another AB800 so the money saved would be great.

I just don't want to upgrade camera's every 18 months as my skills develope.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:04 AM   #5
NHL

IMO you're better off with a 5D than a 30D judging from the materials you shoot...

Also don't give up on film yet, since they still hold a wider latitude than dSLR - and why a 5D is better for you. You do more studio works and after skin tone reproduction and the Kodak's full-frames are also extremely good at this (check out the 'discontinued' Pro SLR/c @ extremely affordable prices).

You don't need the speed of the 30D and the crop factor does not favor with the long lenses either since you're not using them. If you don't want to change camera especially for studio work then check out the digital medium format - they actually have a very wide dynamic range.

It'll cost you, but then you don't have to change as often and there are numerous 'films' :idea:
(i.e. digital backs options)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:07 AM   #6

I would recommend the full-frame sensor 5D for your case. The DOF will be much better than 30D and 12MP would come in handy. You don't need 5fps can 1.6x crop factor.

BTW - I see that you are from oakland, I am from milpitas. Mostly shoot birds but trying to get into people shooting.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 5:16 PM   #7

Is the 1000 dollar difference worth giong to the 5d over 30d ? thats a 4000 dollar camera and you really can't tell the pictures from a $1300 d70s. I need some help with this I shoot almost all catagories, I wish canon had a $2500 ff slr maybe there working on it right now thanks
Rhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 5:21 PM   #8

Is the 1000 dollar difference worth giong to the 5d over 30d ? thats a 4000 dollar camera and you really can't tell the pictures from a $1300 d70s. I need some help with this I shoot almost all catagories, I wish canon had a $2500 ff slr maybe there working on it right now thanks
Rhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:59 PM   #9

Actually the 5d can easily be found for under $2500. So if I were to buy a new camera I need something I am not going to outgroow in 1 year. I don't think the difference of $1500 over my existing Drebal is worth it for just 2 MP more camera. However, 2100 for double the 12mp sounds worth the investment.

http://www.bestpricecameras.com/308518-312322-2.html

However, I decided to take the advice of NHL. I have been working only with Digital. I now believe this has handicapped me more than helped me. I need to upgrade cameras periodically as I get better at photography beauseI start to see where the camera is not meeting my requirements. Like constantly blowing out highlights or loosing details in whites.

So, I have decided to put digital on hold for this year andlearn film. I have a Canon Elan 7NE which I had to purchase for a black and white class I am taking at the college. It seems to me this camera can do everything the 5D can do at 1/8th the price. Full sized sensor, shallow dof, 12mp + detail, change picture styles by changing films.

I don't know much about film, but many say learning film willhelp improve my digital photography. I don't really see how learning chemicals is going to help me in photoshop but I am willing to give it a try.

I will most likely shoot with film and scan to digital since most of my customers don't really need the product back the same day. If I am shooting black and white I am set up to develope my own film at home ans will still be able to see photos same day as with digital. I am looking at 4800x 9600 flatbed scanners for $249 but I am told I probably won't be happy with this. I found a processing place that will scan negsfor $4 and frame or let you use the equipment for $35 an hour.

Sometimes you have to go backwards to make forward progress.

PS

Notice the lack of detail in the hat, customers may not even notice this, but I do.

Old May 5, 2006, 12:13 PM   #10

Best price I've found from a reputable dealer is in the $2500 to $2600 price range after $300 mail in rebate. The bestpricecameras has one of the worst reseller rating I have ever seen and I would never purchase from them or one of the various other store fronts they use.
waxking1 is offline   Reply With Quote