Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 2, 2003, 5:36 PM   #1
SSD

Default Need help with D10 question RE: Lenses

We are considering buying the D10 along with a digi point and shoot. My worry with the D10 is my lenses. I currently have a Canon SLR film camera with several lenses made by canon, sigma and Tamron. Will the Sigma and Tamron be compatible on the D10? Please forgive my ignorance, I am a newbie to the world of digital!
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2003, 9:44 PM   #2

If the lenses are for a Canon EOS system, they "should" work. Sometimes certain Sigma lenses need to be "rechipped" if they don't work right, but usually they work fine.

If your Canon lenses are for the older Canon systems, i.e., pre-EOS, they won't work.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 9:48 PM   #3
SSD

My lenses are for EOS cameras.
Thanks!
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2003, 10:42 AM   #4

I would recommend you use Canon USM lenses on Canon digital camera if you can, it works and focus faster, especially on the large aperture lenses (F/ 2.8 or larger). Tamron is good brand but their AF is two slow (the design is not good, the look is terible), Sigma has the same problem except for the HSM lenses (AF is trememdously improve, fast and silent as the USM, highly recomended, beautiful designed on the EX series). Stay away from those older Sigma lenses, they are non compatable with the new 10D, unless you send it in for re-chip.

I used the following lenses for my 10D
16-35mm L
28-80mm L
28-135 IS (good lens, reasonable price, IS helps you shoot picture in low light, handheld)
Sigma 28-700 mm EX HSM F/2.8.

I have no problem with any of these lenses so far...
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2003, 10:03 PM   #5

[email protected]

Since you have both the 28-80mm L and the 28-135, what do you think of them optically? I've read really good things about th 28-80L. I've read both good and bad things about the 28-135. Makes me thing that its "good enough" for its price, but falls down when you enlarge the pictures.

It isn't exactly fair to compare them, as the price difference is around $500.... I'm looking for a lense to complement the lower end that the 100-400 doesn't cover and these two are (to me) the obvious place to start looking.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2003, 2:48 PM   #6

For the price under $400, and the good performer of the 28-135mm IS, you can carry this lens arround for most of the purpose, but the limitation of the maximum of F/5.6, you probably won't get very far, but it will satify the mostof the hobbyist photographer. However in term of optical performance, the 28-70mmL is superior over this one. There are some applications and situations (lighting, critical focus, and when accurate color becomes very important to you)you get to have this lens. The F/2.8 truly help in low light, boost AF operation and it also becomes a special tool to help your create some beautiful portrait pictures. By just holdding the lens in your hand, you will apreciate the beauty and the craftmanship of this lens. With the new 10D out there in the market, this lens now becomes more popular and hot selling item and soon will be hard to find. I say if you have to save an additional $500 to get it, do it, you will not be regrett, this lens worth every penny you paid for. I put on the Hoya Pro 1 filter for it and I'm ready to go anywhere. Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2003, 9:44 PM   #7

Thanks for the info, I greatly appreciate it.

A quick look at:
http://www.photozone.de

Agrees with your opinion of the 28-70L. I've found this to be a good place to start for what lenses to research further. I know a few places which might have it used. I should call them quickly.

I just really hate the idea that the pictures will be soft (when I don't want them to be) and there won't be much I can do about it because it's the lens and not me.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote