Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:59 AM   #1

Does anyone have any experience rither with the EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5USM orthe EF-S 17-85 f4-5.6 IS USM lens? Can you post some shots that you've taken with them?I am considering addingone of them to my arsenal of lens for my XT. Thanks in advance.
D Humbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:09 AM   #2

Hi D H.

Your post should probably have been made in the Canon LENS forum (this is the Canon CAMERA (DSLR) section)!

I don't have either of the lenses, so I can't actually give you samples / direct first-hand news, but I can tell you that I know that a number of folk say the 10-22mm isa very goodwide angle lens(and superior to the 17-85mm in terms of sharpness, distortion esp at wide angles). See this website: http://www.photozone.de for independent reviews on both these lenses and many others (I find it a helpful website for lens advice / unbiased reviews).

I know from other posts you have a 28-135mm lens (as do I), and I had suggested maybe getting the kit 18-55 lens as a cheap / wide-lens option. Don't know if you're still considering that..? Obviously the 17-85mm is a walk around lens, whereas the 10-22mm isn't really... but it's a rather great wide lens.

Also consider that the 10-22mm lens DOES give you a LOT wider view than either the 17-85 or 18-55 lenses, which maybe is helpful. the gap between 22mm ("tele" on the 10-22) and 28mm (the "wide" on your 28-135mm) is a range that you could probably live without (using your feet / composing) to still get good photos in that range on many occasions!

OR you could still pick up a cheap 18-55mm kit lens if you wanted a cheap "lens for that gap". Depends on your bank balance as well as your camera bag size and the strength of your back!!

All the best. And I hope people will post some photos / comments for you.

Paul

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:41 AM   #3
rey

First of all, I don't have these lenses, but I recently bought a Nikon after looking at Canon and Nikon, especially their lenses and 3rd party lenses...

I think in the end it depends on what you shoot.

If I were in your shoes I'd get the 10-22. From what I've read, It is the best wide angle lens out there from any maker, including Nikon. I would then get the 50 f/1.8 and a 70-3xx, and call my lens collection complete, well except for a 1:1 macro and lens lust issues.

You can take a lot of good pictures with the 17-85, but you can take a lot of GREAT pictures with the 10-22. The 17-85 has a lot of alternatives, while the 10-22 is in the class of its own.

The 28-135 suggestion is also another path if you do a lot of mid-range zoom.

good luck
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:54 AM   #4

I have the 10-22mm, along with the Sigma 18-50 2.8.The 10-22mm is definitely my favorite. The wide angle is amazing, and it really increases your creativity of how you can take pictures. On the other hand, this lens can't really be used as a standard lens. People look silly, and unless you can get really close to something, you'll find yourself wanting a lens that can get you closer. If you already have something in the standard range, the 10-22 is probably the best addition to your lens collection. Otherwise you may want to start with a good standard lens and then get the 10-22.

I have some pictures on a website, but they are nothing special, taken on the first day I had the lens. If you want you can look at them here:

http://my.stratos.net/~michi/pics/5/index.htm

Also I have some airplane shots taken with this lens:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0840406/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0819266/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0824002/L/

Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:22 PM   #5

Michi, Great airplane shots taken with this lens

It would be great they had exposure details listed as well.
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:16 PM   #6

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't realize that i posted in the wrong forum. Thanks.
D Humbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:04 PM   #7

The wide angle lens is not really an all purpose lens. The 17 - 85 is considered by many to ge a very good walk around lens, giving a decent wide angle through a near telephoto. The 10 - 22 is good for landscapes and other times where you need a super wide lens. So it really depends on what lenses you already have and what you are looking to accomplish. Both are very good lenses for their individual purposes...

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:42 PM   #8

Hi!

here is the best prices

[align=left]

$13,335.00HKD[/align]
http://www.tincheungcamera.com.hk/pr...oducts_id=1333

dave4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:00 PM   #9

The only picture I have on my hard drive right now is the north pole shot. It was taken with the Digital Rebel (before I got the XT). Shutter speed was 1/320, aperture F9, ISO 100, no exposure compensation. Glad you like it!
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 1:57 PM   #10

Thanks Michi. Were you sitting in a window seat or just went to a door window to take that picture? Did you use exposure compensation for that shot? I will be going on a international flight in a few months and i am planing to take some pictures. Any advice will be appreciated.
harana is offline   Reply With Quote