Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 16, 2006, 12:52 PM   #1

I just ordered the 30D earlier this week. This will be my first DSLR and I'm wondering what accessories I should get. Perhaps you can rate them as "must have" and "nice to have".

Thanks for your advice.

edit: I do already have the EX 550 Speedlite and have lenses picked out.
DBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2006, 2:41 PM   #2

I'll order the body only and get the baseline 18-55mm EF-S lens.

I will get a second battery (or even two extra batteries, not sure about the BG-E2 yet).

Canon 430EX flash.

2 x Sandisk 4GB Ultra II CF cards and one of

Wolverine Data FlashPac 40GB (I'll need it when I am travelling and I am 100s of miles away from the nearest computer with USB port and CD writer).
YunusEmre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 3:16 PM   #3

Thanks YunusEmre. I've been wondering about the battery grip, is it worth the expense?
Old Mar 16, 2006, 5:07 PM   #4

DBoone wrote:
Quote:
Thanks YunusEmre. I've been wondering about the battery grip, is it worth the expense?
Well so far the only thing I like about it is being able to use 6 stadard AA batteries if you find yourself with drained batteries and no time or power outlet to charge them. I think it is worth it just for that. But I will not order it with the camera. May be I'll get it with the Wolverine FlashPac when I am going on vacation.
YunusEmre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:35 AM   #5

DBoone,

The battery pack is a tough call. I have one on my 20d and it is wonderful for doing sports photography - it puts the shutter button in the right place for portrait orientated shooting. But it does add a bit of weight to the camera and causes tighter fits if not outright no-fits in certain bags.

Which brings up that point - make sure you have a good bag you like (lowepro & tamrac both make excellent bags). This is a must have. Also, when you buy one, plan for the future. You'll pick up more lenses and you don't want to spend $70 on a bag that holds only your present gear and have to buy a slightly larger bag when you get more.

Batteries: I'm not sure if the 30d uses a different battery than the 20d, but I bought a couple spare batteries for my 20d from a company called sterlingtek.com - they were a fraction of the price of the Canon battery and have worked great for the last 8 months. I can use the Canon charger without a problem and they last longer than my original canon battery. If the 30d uses a new battery it will take sterlingtek a while to come out. But, don't fear - I get probably around 800 shots at least out of a single battery on the 20d so I've never been afraid of running out of juice.

Other accessories: as the other poster said: CF cards. I tend to prefer 2gb cards to 4gb - for the reason of not putting all my eggs in one basket. A 2gb card gives me around 500 images jpeg or 230 RAW. B&H has Sandisk Ultra II 2gb cards for $95 right now - a great deal.

You'll also want a lens cleaning kit - you can pick one up anywhere for $15

And, on the flash front - you'll want to invest in some great NiMH rechargable batteries for that 550. I use the Powerex batteries Steve suggests on his review pages and they have worked great for me. I would also recommend a Stofen omnibounce for the flash - it's a white device that slides over the flash that diffuses the light. Another $17 gadget that is well worth the money.

I think that's enough to get you going. Hold off on the battery grip. Hold off on a tripod/head (you'll eventually want one). And, I wouldn't recommend going hog wild on lenses right out of the gate. Get a single lens and use it for a while. Buy other lenses as you NEED them - i.e. when you find you consistantly want to do something your current lens isn't capable of doing. This will help you avoid the $600 paperweights
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:56 AM   #6

Thanks John. The 30D does in fact use the same battery as the 20D so I'll look into Sterlingtek.

I was already considering 2GB cards as a minimum so you've validated that for me.

I'll also look into the omnibounce. Hadn't heard of that before.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:15 PM   #7

I generally like most of what was said, but I want to point out that you haven't said what type of photography you will be doing.

The battery grip isn't for everyone because of what they do or how the camera feels for them. I agree the portrait shutter button is great... for me. Will it be for you is dependent on what you'll shoot.

If the 30D feels small in your hands, then the battery grip might be good just because it makes the camera bigger and have more heft to it. For others, the size of the 30D is just right and adding the grip would be bad.

I would suggest a microfiber cloth for lens cleaning, along with a blower ball. The ball is good for lens cleaning as well as sensor cleaning. It isn't perfect, but if you can clean the sensor without touching it, that is a HUGE win! Same with a lens.

A good bag is a very good thing. I would suggest finding a store that sells bags and check them out before buying. People have different size frames and a good bag for me might not be for you. I prefer LowePro bags. I own 3 and find them to be very good.

You don't need a device to download your images to unless you go on longer trips or take lots of images. I can take upwards of 300+ images in a day, but I didn't get a portable hard disk (the Epson P-2000) until I went to Florida, when I took many more than that. Instead I just had a few 2G SD cards and that worked well. Its much easier to carry the SD cards when I know I won't need the P-2000.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 2:27 PM   #8

I just got one today, waitting for the battery to charge , I just can't wait any more.......lol. at the store 20d $1500, 30D $1650 CAD , I had to go for the 30D just for the 2.5 LCD, I think the 30d is a 5D Canon with a flash and a smaller senser , again I THING.
ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 3:09 PM   #9

That isn't exactly true, if you looked at the details, but it is basically true enough to say it and not be very wrong.

the 30D looks like it should be a great camera. I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 3:16 PM   #10

I am not going to sleep tonight, and if I am its sleeping with me..........lol.
ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote