Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 12, 2003, 12:52 AM   #11

OK, I'll stop whining. First of all, I have come to really like my 10D - I'd love it if only it were as fast in writing to disk as the D60. The ergonomics have improved - I can get quickly to everything I need to change quickly and the visual quality is really good. The shutter/mirror also seem to be a bit quieter than the D60, which is lovely. I think the viewfinder is a bit less "sharp" than the D60, though, so it's a good thing the focusing has improved so much.

I bought a 1D a long time ago, tested it and returned it because it had unacceptable focusing errors. Before I returned it I called Canon and asked if they could guarantee me that they could repair it in order to eliminate the problem. They said they couldn't do that. I wasn't in a position to gamble on that kind of an investment so I kissed it goodbye. I must say I also found it shocking that there was no magnification possible when reviewing photos on the LCD. (The Review function on the 10D is excellent!)

If the 1Ds had a variable RAW file size I would trade my car in for one.
VKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2003, 1:03 PM   #12

I find the high quality JPGs'write at less than 2 seconds ea on a RiDATA 512mb 20 X card,so 9 images write in less than 18 seconds total time ,RAW write in under 4 seconds for a Max of 36 seconds.
This is plenty fast for me.The Card has a lot to do with the speed of writting,try a Sandisk and see what you get it ,will be very very slow.
Dan Eisenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2003, 1:26 PM   #13

I use a Canon 28-105mm F3.5-4.5 on my 10D, I find it can't focus correctly on 28-50mm range. Especially on 28mm, focus are front moved. Telephoto get more successful focus.
I use a Canon 70-200 F2.8 it focus correctly.

Canon told me return the 10D with the lens for adjustment. It may take a week or more. I hope they can fix it.

I think 10D is a great Camera ( I am a fans). Take care before you buy 10D.
kcli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2003, 4:11 PM   #14

kcli

There is a shop near me which sells for only slightly more than B&H. So the prices are fairly good. The big bonus to me is that they will let me try the lens to make sure it focuses correctly on my camera.

If you can find such a place near by, I recommend this way of buying a lens. I've read too many reviews which show that its not only the camera or the lens but the camera *and* the lens together which can cause the problem. So you need to make sure the lens works for your camera.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2003, 4:53 PM   #15

just got my 10D and have taken over 250 concert shots in the last week. i'm finding that it is taking longer to write images at high and mid quality and autofocus is a little problematic (a real prblem with my tokina 28-70 pro SV but great with my tamron 20-40 and canon 50mm 1.4) . i have purchased an ST-E2 transmitter to try to improve the situation as 99.9% of my pictures are in a non-flash concert environment (still trying to work out how to use it - any suggestions?). overall though i think it's a great camera although i still love my D30 which i decided to keep for back-up. maybe there will be some software updates????????
tony
tryharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2003, 11:19 AM   #16

Lin, What is the firmware limit on autofocus at f5.6?
Mine seems OK at all apertures.
What do you mean about tricking the camera into not thinking it has F8 attached.
Sorry if I am missing the obvious.
siggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2003, 1:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Lin, What is the firmware limit on autofocus at f5.6?
Mine seems OK at all apertures.
What do you mean about tricking the camera into not thinking it has F8 attached.
Sorry if I am missing the obvious.
The D30/D60/10D will not autofocus with a lens which has a rating of greater the F5.6. That doesn't mean you can't set the aperture to F8 or F16, it simply means that if the lens itself is an F8, etc., the camera won't even try to autofocus. It's a firmware issue.

By taping three pins on the tele adapter, the camera is not informed that it's connected to a smaller aperture lens than F5.6 (the combination is F8) so the camera trys to autofocus. With the 10D it works well, with the D30/D60 it only works with excellent light and the autofocus "hunts" and won't lock in less than optimal lighting conditions.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote