Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 3, 2003, 10:26 AM   #1
wll

Default EOS 10D Question!

From the looks of things the new Canon EOS 10D may be a dud, it looks like the default focus setting is soft.
These are things I've read, does anyone HAVE the camera, and if they do please give your view.

Wll
wll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2003, 1:57 PM   #2

Which problem are you talking about? That the focus point is wrong (front/rear focusing?) or that the pictures just aren't sharp?

There are *some* 10D cameras which don't focus correctly. I've read reports where this happens in 3 situations:

1) It happens with a non Canon lens, but the camera works fine with a canon lens. This is not the cameras fault. I've heard that Canon did not sell/license the design to the EF mount, so Sigma and others reverse engineered it... and didn't always get it right. (Correct me if this is wrong. Its what I've read in dpreview's forum.) Either way, Sigma is replacing chips in lenses for free to correct this.

2) A Canon lens doesn't focus right, but others Canons do. I've heard a few reports of this and Canon usually wants both the lens and camera sent to them. I blame Canon on this, of course. Some tolerance has changed so the 10D is less forgiving and therefor lenses which worked on older systems (some times) have problems. At least, this is my guess.

3) All lenses focus on the wrong point. This is, of course, Canon's problem. I would say that they lowered their QA standards and are shipping cameras to meet the high demand which they wouldn't normally ship. (just MHO.)
I have seen some pictures from the 10D which look VERY SHARP. So to that the 10D is a dud is an extreme overstatement.

Now if you want to complain about exposure, that is another matter. Both the Nikon D100 and the 10D (and probably other Canon D?? cameras) are too low in exposure. This is intentional and easily correctable. The problem is that if you expose too high, you blow out all detail (its unrecoverable.) If you expose too low, the detail is probably still there and you can tease it out in photoshop. So they designed the cameras to allow badly exposted pictures to have a better shot at being saveable. For a Pro, they should make this mistake less often, so the exposing being set to low is annoying. For someone like me, it would probably save some pictures.

Just my opinion. I'm probably going to buy a 10D in the next week or so... so my research has shown otherwise. Check out the forums on dpreview. Some people are having problems and others are doing just fine. That is expected for such a new camera. Personally, I don't find it acceptable, but I excect it in this day and age.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 3:32 PM   #3
wll

eric s,

What you stated is what I read, I will wait and see after this camera has been out a while.

I have a writer friend who has the Nikon D100. It is a nice machine and the photos are beautifull, but I'm a Canon fan and have been for years, since the days of my F1-N's (wish I still had them).

Like I said, I will wait this out, hope they make the changes to make this a great camera, the price is very fair. and if it performed like it should it would take over the World;-)

wll
wll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 8:19 PM   #4

wll

That is why I'm waiting as well. I want the initial rush to go down, allow Canon to catch its breath and start selling things with the quality I expect for a $1,500USD item. I would be really annoyed if I purchased a 10D and found that it didn't focus correctly out of the box.

I also have a friend with a D100. I used it for an afternoon photographing Great Blue Herons. I like it. Fits well in my hands, I got use to button placement quickly, the pictures are very nice.... An afternoon isn't enough to declare it "amazing" or "wonderful" but it just felt very comfortable in my hands.

Now if they only had a 100-400 lens as good as Canon's, and had VR in the 300 F4 and 400 F4... then I'd consider the D100 seriously. But right now, their lens line doesn't seem to offer what I need. Pity.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 10:42 PM   #5

I just started playing with my 10D. They have finally made a sub-$5K digital camera that actually focuses. Wonderful. Picture quality is very good. Interface is improved, body feels more solid, price is relatively reasonable, though body is still completely unprotected against moisture...

...BUT...

the darned thing takes about 40% longer to write data to the compact flash card than the D60!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: There's a 9-exposure buffer. If you shoot 9 raw files you then have to wait almost a full minute for those files to be written to a 24X Lexar card and you can't review any of the photos during that time. As a pro who works in fast moving situations and shoots a lot of exposures this is probably a fatal flaw. Wonderful camera for hobbyists. I will have trouble returning this otherwise pretty darned nice camera but I really don't think I can spend so much time on the job waiting for it to write files while the photo ops go streaming by...it's already pretty excruciating with the D60.

Canon, I beg you, will you please try to let some professional photographers - I mean people who really depend on cameras to make a living - somewhere near your design process before you release these products to the public?!!!! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING??? "Hey - let's make a camera that focuses faster and handles data way slower! Cool!"
VKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2003, 1:03 PM   #6

VKarl

I've started to see some complaints like your from others as well. They changed the dynamic of how the camera interacts with the flash card... in a really bad way. Ya, it buffers more. But you can't do anything else while writing.

There is more info about this on robgoldbraths CF performance database page.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

It sounds like they really cut corners here. I almost wonder if they weren't trying to force true Pros (as opposed to me, who wants the better lenses and cares some about absolute image quality) to move up to the 1D or 1Ds.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 12:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Canon, I beg you, will you please try to let some professional photographers - I mean people who really depend on cameras to make a living - somewhere near your design process before you release these products to the public?!!!! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???
But remember, the 10D is not designed as, nor marketed as a "professional" camera - nor was the D60. I agree that it would have been nice to have this camera perform at a higher level where data processing is concerned. It would also be nice had Canon not limited the autofocus in firmware to F5.6 because it absolutely will reliably autofocus at F8 as long as the camera is fooled into not realizing that it's attached to a lens aperture of F8. But it performs so much better overall than the D30/D60 that the good outweighs the bad in my experience.

I'll just keep shooting my 1D or DCS-760 when I absolutely must have the performance reliability, and thoroughly enjoy what the 10D does in the way of providing incredibly good images within its limitations.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2003, 12:54 AM   #8

Quote:
From the looks of things the new Canon EOS 10D may be a dud, it looks like the default focus setting is soft.
It's anything BUT a "dud." I find no serious fault with the 10D and at its price point there's no doubt that it will be the market leader for some time to come.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2003, 11:25 PM   #9

The 10D is not a Dud ! Canon has made a great camera that the average photographer can buy at a reasonable price .It works great and creates wonderful images.
I make a living with my equipment,this is serious hardware for the professional photographers .
Thanks Canon
Dan Eisenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 4:10 AM   #10

I wholehartedly agree with previous 3 posts. The 10D is a vast improvement over the D60 providing very good quality images.

Remember that digital cameras are still in development phase. Yes it going fast, very fast even, but still not to the point where they can be compared to normal film. As such current designs are ALWAYS a compromise between price an features. For me the 10D is a VERY GOOD compromise.

Vkarl, you shouldn't expect the quality of a Rolls Royce for the price of a Citroen 2CV. Get real, and buy the 1D if thats what you want.

And from first hand Vkarl. Canon does listens to its professionals, especially with regard to the EOS digital range. Fortunately Canon is also capable of distinguishing between reasonable and unreasonable.

Regards, Leon
droopy928gt is offline   Reply With Quote