Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 18, 2006, 5:41 PM   #1

I have just bought a Canon eos 350d. In my kit pack I did not received instruction manual on English, so problems for me.

I just want for the begining to know the following:

1. Focus: can I made a photo without focus on anything. Like a landscape photo where everything is in the focus and it is sharp enough. I want to have this option even for the portraits. How to obtain such focus.

2. When looking into photo info, all my photos are showing 72 x and y resolution. How to make it 300. I set the camera to L jpeg quality. Same is when shooting in Raw.

Thanks in advance

Zak
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2006, 10:37 PM   #2

i guess if u set the aperture smaller (bigger f number) than everything will be in focus XD

hope u enjoy ur cam^^
leooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 10:59 PM   #3
djb

Zak, if you go to the Canon website you might find the users manual for the 350d. use the following link and click the "download library" button on Canons toolbar, then choose what camera you want and language and you can download the manual in .PDF format. You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader for it.

dennis

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...;modelid=11154
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 8:46 AM   #4

Zak,
Your user manual will help answer your question marginally. The user manual is mainly to tell you which button does what, not basic photography questions. I recommend picking up "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, it is an excellent basic photography book and will answer your first question much better than your manual will.
Where are you viewing the information that says your resolution is 72x72? That sounds like thumbnail info.
eosthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 9:07 AM   #5

Considering the 72x72 pixel:

When I open the photo in JPEG by acdsee software and then go properties I found:

pixel dimension 2304x3456 and resolution 72x72.......

that is what I'm worried about.

I have had Nikon 8700 model and it was always 300x300 dpi.

Hope for reply to be sure what it is wrong.

Zak
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:46 PM   #6

Zak,

About the pixel count - the short answer is: you don't need to worry about it. It doesn't even come into play until you print. The 72dpi has an associated size of something ludicrous. As long as you are shooting RAW or Large-fine JPEG your file sizes are OK. You don't ever have to change that resolution. Even though it says 72, if you print a 4x6 (and had the camera set to large fine) you'll get well over 300dpi. It only comes into play when you're printing very large and then you get into interpolation (whole other discussion). Bottom line - you don't need to do anything.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:27 PM   #7

JohnG is right, don't worry about the 72DPI.
It is left over from television standards. It really has absolutely no meaning until you try to print your images.

You can adjust the setting in a photo editor like photoshop (what I use, so I know it can do it) and I bet others can do it too. But it will absolutely not effect how you see the image on your screen. Not one bit.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:40 PM   #8

Thanks, it sound strange but OK.

Also, I see no panorama possibilities.....?????

I supose the 2 or 3 photos can be easily taken and then by some software join into panoramic one

Zak
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:00 PM   #9

Yep, no panorama feature on the 350D. Just like you said take the photo's required and then stitch them together using a proper program.
eosthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:04 PM   #10

:P

thanks