Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:40 AM   #11

mgipe wrote:
Quote:

Desirable:

Photoshop CS2, or at minimum, Photoshop Elements, or your favorite post processing software.
So the software that comes free with the camera is not up to the job? There is so much to learn about the software and the camera (for me at least, my first D-SLR) I am not sure I should go and buy more software at the first instance. May be after I start hitting the limits of the software that is bundled with the camera. But I do not know if that will happen, unless the bundled software is very bad?
YunusEmre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:13 PM   #12

All, Great suggestions and links. Thank you. I will summarize and post back to confirm my understanding.

Please go to the Canon Lens forum and give advice on lens choices too. That post is not getting any responses so far. Here is the link for it:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65

May be people didn't like the way I spelled the word "Lens" in it..
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 1:55 PM   #13

YunusEmre wrote:
Quote:

So the software that comes free with the camera is not up to the job? There is so much to learn about the software and the camera (for me at least, my first D-SLR) I am not sure I should go and buy more software at the first instance. May be after I start hitting the limits of the software that is bundled with the camera. But I do not know if that will happen, unless the bundled software is very bad?
I put it in the "desirable" list rather than the "minimum" list because you can live with the supplied software for a while. In fact, I believe that Canon is now bundling an earlierversion of Photoshop Elements with most of their cameras, and this will be fine to start with.

Nevertheless, the first time dSLR owner will find that, while the photos out of his old point-n-shoot did not need extra processing, most of his shots from the dSLR will now need post processing. It will therefore be desirable to upgrade to the post-processing software that you think you'll want to end up with, so that you can learn how to get the best results out of the combination of camera and sofware.

Learning new stuff is 9/10 of the fun!

mgipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:07 PM   #14

Thaipo Negative wrote:
Quote:
Excuse my ignorance but why do you want a card reader rather than using usb?

Sig 4 less, def.

Quality or quantity? Still out on this one....

http://www.sterlingtek.com/ln03-cano...11-dlc511.html

http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?actio...up&mbid=30
Good questions.

The card reader will allow you to transfer photos much, much faster than a USB connection to the camera. You'll also find it easier to use, with fewer problems like communication failures or anomalies. It is also mandatory for the occasional camera firmware update that Canon issues. Card readers are inexpensive, with good ones from US$15 and up.

Non-OEM replacement batteries are tricky. Some of the battery packs on E-bay are lousy and could harm your camera or charger. Others are excellent. It is best to check with experienced users to find out which brands are good. Sterlingtek has an excellent reputation among photographers, and their service is great. I'm not familiar with Hahnel, but perhaps others on the forum can comment on them.

My own experience with Sterlingtek bears out what other photogs say on the forums, that the batteries have higher capacity and better longevity than Canon brand batteries.

mgipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:13 PM   #15

So this is the shopping list I have put together with your help along with my questions:

1. One 2GB CF cards Lexar Ultra II - Do I really need 2 cards? How often do they break?

2. Spare battery from Sterlingtek

3. Rocket blower to clean sensor - Any specific brand?

4. Carrying bag - What would be good light bag to hold camera, flash and 3 lenses?

5. Flash - I like Canon 580EX but it is too much money. How does 430EX or Sigma EF500 DG Super compare to 580EX?

6. Do I need flash bracket to reduce red eye?

I do have a good wide strap and will use the software which comes withCanon initially to keep my cost down.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 5:55 AM   #16

http://www.com-puterworks.com/Free_Downloads.htm

http://vogresoft.com/2186.php I keep getting spamed by these people but they are so tempting to try when you see the prices. Of course you could always download the trial version and.......

Careful what batteries you get, do they have CE on them for a start? There is a little film here showing what can happen to lithium batteries.

http://www.milkandcookies.com/links/15418/
Thaipo Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 7:04 PM   #17

I have some questions on the shopping list for 30D:

1. One 2GB CF cards Lexar Pro or SanDiskUltra II or Extreme III - Do I really need 2 cards? How often do they break?

2. Spare battery from Sterlingtek

3. Rocket blower to clean sensor - Any specific brand?

4. Carrying bag - What would be good light bag to hold camera, flash and 3 lenses?

5. Flash - I like Canon 580EX but it is too much money. How does 430EX or Sigma EF500 DG Super compare to 580EX?

Thanks in advance for the responses.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 7:57 PM   #18

1. One 2GB CF card SanDisk, you don't have to get a very fast card because the 30D got a nice buffer ,you will not see any diffrence. 2. Spare battery from Sterlingtek, I got mine on the way. 3 I don,t want to touch my senser I will pay a pro to do it...........lol. 4. Carrying bag , go to a store and find the one that is best for your needs,I have the tamrac Velocity3 ,it is good for 2-3 lenses, again go to a store and pick the one you like. 5. Flash, I don't have one, I will get 2-3 lenses befor I think of getting one. by the way got my 30D on Saturday. good luck to you.
ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 8:56 PM   #19
NHL

harana wrote:
Quote:
The Sigma EF500 DG Super sits between the 430 and the 580EX in term of power: a GN of 50 vs 43/58...

-> The 430EX is a Slave only flash, so the Sigma is more like the 580 than the 430, which can be both Master and Slave. This is only useful if one plans on using the wireless mode for off-camera or ratio controls in which case one needs at least two flashes (since the camera's built-in flash can't control the slaves like on the Nikon or Minolta cameras). Of course with a price ratio of almost two to 1, the more heads one need the more one can save with the Sigma... :-) :lol: :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 1:43 PM   #20

ht770 wrote:
Quote:
by the way got my 30D on Saturday. good luck to you.
Cool! What lens did you get with it for now? Please do post your review soon.

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Of course with a price ratio of almost two to 1, the more heads one need the more one can save with the Sigma... :-) :lol: :G
I like the Sigma price too. Does Sigma 500 works well with 30Din all auto modes just like Canon 580EX?