Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 22, 2006, 5:50 PM   #21

harana wrote:
Quote:
Cool! What lens did you get with it for now? Please do post your review soon.

I have the sigma 18-200 DC and Canon 50mm F 1.8, I bought the body only after I sold my Rebel xt on ebay, I will get more lenses but for now I am happy with my sigma ,I know that there are better lenses out there, on my wish list:

1. a nice f2.8 zoom like sigma 18-50 EX or the new Tamran version 17-50.

2. a nice zoom with IS like the Canon 70-300 IS or IS DO or Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX or Sigma 80-400 OS EX.

3. maybe an affordable L like 17-40 or even if I could stretch mybudget the Canon 24-105 F4 L.

Lots of choices out there ,but for now I am playing with the 18-200and learning my needs better, I don't like to buy twice (like I did with my camera body).

So get the camera body + one lens + CF card and come out and play with the rest of use, every thing else could wait :-).
ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 6:53 PM   #22

ht770 wrote:
Quote:
1. a nice f2.8 zoom like sigma 18-50 EX or the new Tamran version 17-50.
Thanks for the response. Enjoy your 30D. Here in US30D is not availalbe... I don't know why USA is the last country on earthgetting this camera..

It is interesting that you mentioned new Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. I searched the web and can not find any test review on it. It looks too new I guess. May be someone on the forum has it and can tellus how it compares with the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8.
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 7:10 PM   #23

harana wrote:
Quote:
why USA is the last country on earthgetting this camera..
Because us lot in US complain too much, Canon is sending all the 30Ds loaded with dust on the sensors to Europe and other places. :G
YunusEmre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:49 PM   #24

Sorry guys, if you realy want it fast, try ebay or even a canadian based photo company like Henrys.com I think they ship to the USA and you get the camera with canadian an US warranty, most seller FEDEX, and I don't think the tamron 17-50 is out yet.
ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 5:53 PM   #25

Just few days left in April and purchase of 30D..

I was just wondering if i can get some advice on from where I should buy it from..:?

I have 3 choices:

1) I can buy it from Amazon.com. They are selling it for $1399 and I would not have to pay sales tax or shipping. I have read that they have good return policy if there is a problem with the camera.

2) I can buy it from B&H. No sales tax and good service.

3) Buy locally at CircuitCity store. They have it in stock and will have live person to talk to if there was any problem but I would have to pay sales tax. Do they have good customer service and good return policy???:?

Where should I buy from? Is paying extra worth it for the face to face interaction?:?

Old Mar 30, 2006, 5:59 PM   #26

My vote goes to ordering online. I ordered mine from 17th Street Photo and got it yesterday. No tax but shipping was expensive because I could not wait to get my hands on it
Old Mar 31, 2006, 1:55 PM   #27

YunusEmre wrote:
Quote:
My vote goes to ordering online. I ordered mine from 17th Street Photo and got it yesterday. No tax but shipping was expensive because I could not wait to get my hands on it
What are the issues buying online vs buying locally? What if the camera you got was Gray market or had items missing or had excessive dust on the sensor? What do you do then?

Old Mar 31, 2006, 2:17 PM   #28

harana wrote:
Quote:
YunusEmre wrote:
Quote:
What are the issues buying online vs buying locally? What if the camera you got was Gray market or had items missing or had excessive dust on the sensor? What do you do then?

If you buy from reputable dealer like the ones you mentioned you are going to get a USA warranty product. I have not heard of anybody getting a gray martket 30D from any of the reputable dealers.

If there is execessive dust on the sensor you have 3 options.

1 Send it back to the dealer and get a replacement (without knowing if the replacement will have no dust or even more dust),

2 Sent it do Canon service to have it cleaned

3 celan the sensor yourself

I was determined that I'd send it back if I found dust or any hot pixels. So I was dreading checking the sensor for dust and hot/dead pixels. I was very happy when I tested the sensor with dark shots and found no problems
So with a bit of luck you will get a 30D with a clean and perfect sensor. Good luck.

Old Mar 31, 2006, 7:13 PM   #29

BTW, I've read a few places, the hot pixel issue may not be such a big deal. Take a look here, read the post titled: FIXED!!!! - Run Sensor Clean Cycle

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...925&page=2

Basically by performing a Sensor Clean procedure, the hot pixels dissappeared. It may be that the 30D (and may be others) have a built in compensator for such problems.