Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:43 PM   #11

Michi wrote:
Quote:
In the last few years I have bought pretty much all my camera equipment from http://www.amazon.com. They have good prices, free shipping, no tax in most states, and if you want to bother with the A9 search engine you get another 1.57% off. Also they have a pretty much no questions asked free shipping return policy. Right now the silver Rebel XT with the kit lens is $783.69 with free shipping. Seeing that Broadway Photo wants at least $30 for shipping, you might as well go with someone more reputable like Amazon and just pay a few more bucks.B&H has the Rebel XT for $779 plus $13.50 shipping, slightly more than amazon with shipping.

This sounds really good. What is Amazon's return policy when the product is actually coming from one of their partners like Adorama Camera?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 7:50 PM   #12
rey

I think you deal with amazon's partners separately. adorama is another good online store. I recently bought from them and I'm very satisfied. I actually added something in the last second and they were able to add it with no problem.

Adorama doesn't charge tax outside NY.

When it comes to online stores the only ones I trust are:

Adorama
B&H
Beachcamera (AKA buydig)
cameta auctions on eBay

amazon is nice for camera as well, they even have a depot outside Reno so it's fast to get stuff to the Bay Area, but at times their stocks are limited, so you end up going to Adorama anyways.

hope this helps!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 6:46 AM   #13

I have used BH Photo a few times and will continue to do so. I am in the US Army stationed in Germany and it's getting harder find a company that will ship to an APO address. BH Photo charges a little much for the shipping, but I get the products quick. Other places either won't ship to an APO or they charge an astronomical amount. (See Adorama)

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 2:34 AM   #14

B&H gets my vote. Fast shipping, good service. Great return policy too. No re-stocking fee, no questions asked.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 9:56 AM   #15

Hello,
I don't know if you've already bought your Rebel XT, but if you're a Costco member, you can get the XT for $799 - $100 rebate = $699. I always buy from Costco, because they have the absolute best customer satisfaction policy - period. For example, they have a six month return policy on computers. It's a good feeling to know that I have a "safety net" like that.

I don't mind paying just a little bit more for my gear, because I know that I can return them without a problem, and then return the favor by buying the newer version from them.

They've got some left in the stores and on line. And I'm about to post my own question about the Rebel XT, in regards to the viability of the 18-55 zoom (No Image Stabilization) that comes with it.

Burtron

BTW Does anyone know who really caught Sadam? Well, this is who did it (In his honor) Don Knotts will be sorely missed!
Attached Images

Burtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:25 AM   #16

This is a list someone compiled of many different online stores and gave ratings.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14677
Thaipo Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 6:46 PM   #17

Burtron wrote:
Quote:
Hello,
I don't know if you've already bought your Rebel XT, but if you're a Costco member, you can get the XT for $799 - $100 rebate = $699. I always buy from Costco, because they have the absolute best customer satisfaction policy - period.
Interesting! I checked Costco online store and they don't have Canon 30D available.How I can find outwhen they will stock it?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 9:43 PM   #18

I was talking about the XT being available at Costco now, but guess you're interested in the 30D. I haven't seen the 30D offered there yet, either. And just like everyone else, they'll tell you that they won't know until they get it in. I've tried the route of contacting their buyers, but to no avail.

You can call the customer service number they give online, but I doubt that they'll tell you anything different. Unfortunately, this is not the aspect of customer sevice I was referring to at Costco - It's more their return policy.

If you're still interested, keep checking online and at their store. They often carry different items than what they carry online, but not as many overall items.

Hope that answers your question. You did look under the "Electronics" tab for "Digital Cameras" didn't you? But I still don't think it's there.
Burtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:59 PM   #19

Dell also has quite a few Canon cameras and lenses. May not be always the cheapest though shipping is usually free.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 1:47 AM   #20

To add to this topic, I purchased a camera from BuyDig.com and it unfortunately shipped with dust on the sensor. So I called up BuyDig.com and they gave me one of two options:
  1. Pay $20-30 to have it shipped back to them and they'll ship a brand new unit out to me.[/*]
  2. Ship it to Canon free of charge and have them repair it.[/*]
  3. Buy cleaning supplies and clean it myself.
    [/*]
Now it may just be me, but these decisions simply blow. It's a brand new camera and was defective out of the box, yet I have to pay for shipping and handling to get an exchange unit? Either that or I have to have my brand new camera repaired?

I ended up shipping it back to them and am awaiting my new unit, which should be here in another week or so. I'm pretty frustrated as I would have enjoyed having it this weekend for my cousin's wedding.

I will not buy from BuyDig.com again no matter how low their prices may be. The customer service/sales staff I spoke with seemed impatient and short in their responses to my questions (both email and telephone). One guy actually hung up after he answered what he thought was my last question without so much as a good day or bye; he just hung up.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote