Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:14 PM   #1

Okay,

Obviously I am no professional. I have been borrowing an EOS 300D and like it much better than my small point and shoot, both from a perspective of feel and picture quality. So I am trying to find the camera that is going to be right for me.

Having a baby, I will do a decent amount of indoor shooting. Currently that is one complaint I have with the current 300D setup. It has the kit lens and f/4.5 just isnt' low enough to get decent indoor results without a flash, even at higher ISOs.

I like the quality and versatility of the dSLRs, but I also like the overall convenience of the prosumer Ultra Zooms.

I was originally planning on first getting a 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 zoom lens to use with the 300D that I am borrowing, then getting an 18-50mm f/2.8 for a majority of indoor shooting, and then picking up a 350D body.

Reading the reviews of the 18-200mm lens though, the general consensus is that the quality is much better using 2 separate lenses. While that may be true, for the type of shooting that I am going to be doing, the convenience of a single lens is going to outweigh the quality enhancement.

I then saw the Fujifilm S9000 that is appealing because it is a single package 18-200mm f/2.8-f/4.9 and although the high ISO noise isn't as good as a dSLR, it is certainly better than something like the Lumix FZ30

Obviously using the Canon EOS 350D with the 18-50 f/2.8 is going to do better indoor shots shots than the Fujifilm S9000. However, what I am trying to figure out (which is especially difficult since there isn't a local dealer that carries both of these cameras and lenses) is what is going to provide a better photographic experience (quality, camera performance, etc) across the board the S9000 or the 350D w/ 18-200mm lens?

The S9000 is obviously a less expensive setup, although it lacks the expansion and potential versatility of the 350D. However, I know that if I get the 350D and the 18-200mm lens, I will probably spend 80%+ percent of my time shooting with that combo. With that as a given, what do you think would be the better performer?

Thanks.
SilentBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:35 AM   #2

I had the S5000 and loved it, then I got the C-770 OLY and soled it, walked in to a store to buy the Fuji S9000 then I had to walk over and look at the dslr's ,ended up getting a DSLR the rebel xtfor 200$ more,I got the sigma18-200 used for 240$( I was lucky).......no video with DSLR's..................I think the 350D with the sigma 18-200 DC going to provide a better photographic experience,

right now I have the 30D with 18-200 and a canon 50mm f1.8 for low light shotting its about 80$,I use the sigma 95% of the time.

:|good luck
ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 1:04 AM   #3

It's true that you'd be better off getting two (or three) lenses rather than getting an 18-200mm. You need to ask yourself which is more important...quality or convenience. If you go with convenience, I'm afraid there's no 18-200mm lens that will suit low light shooting w/o flash. If you really must have 18-200mm, I would suggest also getting the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens...I know, it's another lens, but it's only about $70 brand new. That lens should take care of your home indoor low light shots and use the 18-200mm for outdoors.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 1:13 AM   #4

Convenience is definitely more important.

I am just trying to figure out how much better quality and experience I will get from the 350D using the 18-200 lens vs buying the all-in one.

I wouldn't mind having to switch out lenses for the purpose of low light.
Truthfully (and I'm just guessing here) the Canon with the 18-200 lens at f/3.5 will probably do almost as well as the S9000 at f/2.8 since from what I have seen/understand the highest setting you really want to take the S9000 to is ISO800 due to the more significant noise at ISO1600.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:09 AM   #5

A DSLR provides youoptions as you get more into photography. You can shoot wider, longer, and be more creative with a DSLR than you would with a point and shoot camera. These "options" though have a price. DSLR's can be a money pit. Pretty soon you'd want multiple lenses, flashes, wireless remote, etc...and they all add up. Consider what you need now and what you'd want to do with your camera in the future...perhaps that would make the decision easier for you.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:04 AM   #6

It makes the decision somewhat easier

I am trying to weigh the quality/convenience issue.

If the 350D will give me just as much convenience and as good as or better quality than the s9000, I will go ahead and spend the extra money on the 350D for the flexibility of future upgrades.

If the S9000 will perform better than the 350D with the 18-200 lens on it, then I'll just buy that, and then get a true dSLR once I have outgrown it.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 3:48 PM   #7

as someone who resisted the dSLR purchase and rationalized all sorts of things, trust me, buy the Canon. Yes it costs more and is a bit less conveinent but at the end of the day, when you look at the pictures you take, there is no comparison.

I kick myself for wasting a penny on point and shoots.
davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 4:51 PM   #8

Bob,

AdSLR will be the faster "shooter". It will allow you tocapturemore keepers because the shutter lagbetween shots at high quality settings will be much less.Thiswill be an even better thing oncethe baby reaches 2-3 yearsof age. You'll be able to catch much better action shots. I sold my point and shoot to a new dad on a trial basis;he eventually returnedit and broughta 300D.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:27 PM   #9

SilentBob wrote:
Quote:
It makes the decision somewhat easier

I am trying to weigh the quality/convenience issue.

If the 350D will give me just as much convenience and as good as or better quality than the s9000, I will go ahead and spend the extra money on the 350D for the flexibility of future upgrades.

If the S9000 will perform better than the 350D with the 18-200 lens on it, then I'll just buy that, and then get a true dSLR once I have outgrown it.
Hi Bob,

I have a s9500, s9000 in your area of the world. The reason I bought it was that I was sick of carrying lenses etc. around and missing shots because I was busy changing a lens. Also as you get older they feel heavier. :-)

I would have a 350d or one of the other comparables tomorrow if someone would volunteer to act as my camera caddie and supply a second body.

I find the s9500 is a very good all round camera and i'm very pleased with it. It feels, looks and handles like a DSLr. It is very fast on start up and very fast to take a shot. I have never missed an action shot with it. The picture quality is not as good as the 350d ( smaller sensor ) But very close at lower iso and very good upt o iso400 usable at iso800 and not really worth it at iso1600. The lens is pretty good for what you pay for. A bit soft at the edges at 28mm but gets better in the mid range and falls off slightly above 250mm to 300mm and the 2x digital is very usable. It is of course a manual zoom. It responds very well to pp and can take a large amount of usm without developing halos.
It also takes very acceptable video up to the size of your memory cards and it is very handy having the movable lcd and to be able to swap between the EVF and LCD at the push of a button.

Take a look at some of my shots on the link below, nothing special, just what I like to do.

Sel ........
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7Eselorme/photos.html
SelNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:38 PM   #10

Thanks for everyone's inputs...Sel, I really like those pictures.

I think I have decided to go in a totally opposite direction.

I am afraid if I buy the S9000 I am going to end up eventually wanting an SLR...the S9000 would still probably make a nice backup camera.

Unfortunately the 18-200 lenses for the Canon just don't seem to be quite up to expectations....especially when I hear that the Sigma and Tamron really only go to approx. 160mm even though they are advertised as 200mm.

However, I have read some incredible reviews of Nikon's new 18-200 lens (assuming you can find one to buy).

So I think I am going to ignore my original upgrade path and spend a bit more than I was originally planning and get the Nikon D50 with the Nikkor 18-200mm lens. I'll get the quality, power, and flexibility of the dSLR as well as the convenience of the UltraZoom. I have no need for the video capabilities as I have a Sanyo Xacti C6 that I keep in the camera bag. It is tiny and probably takes better video than the S9000.

Now that I've made up my mind, I just have to wait for everything to arrive and figure out how I'm going to pay for it