Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 26, 2006, 8:59 AM   #11
spy

Did you have your focus set toall points or center? I found that when shooting All Points Focus that the camera is just taking an average focus of all points and gives you something 'kinda clear'. This caused so many of my pics to end up in the trash.

Know what your subject is and use the center focus point on that subject.

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 7:25 PM   #12

Center focus.

RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:15 PM   #13

I photograph birds in-flight. I use AI Servo, center focus point, and evaluative metering with exposure comp dialed in. I LOVE AI Servo and have more successes than failures with it. I will say that if a bird lands in a tree and I want to shoot it while it is still, I will not get a satisfactory photo if I shoot it still in AI Servo. I have to put it to One Shot. However, I can shoot an in-flight bird with One Shot with success. There are many people who only use One Shot for in-flight bird photography. The other thing that has to be considered, if you have an IS lens, is the use of #1 for stationary shots and #2 for in-flight, panned shots. I would think #2 for sports shots would be important too, if you have an IS lens.
101Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:24 PM   #14

I don't have a IS lens.:sad:

SO if I get you right you use AI-servo and love it but One shot works just as well?

I will be shooting baseball and such.
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 9:45 AM   #15

Good info guys!

Here's a little more food for thought and some suggestions:

I shoot a lot of sports (basketball, baseball etc...) In the past 3 months I"ve shot around 25,000 shots of basketball alone. Looking forward to a the season change
and outside shooting! :-)

Here's a few tips:

1. For most sports I shoot I have my "*" button reprogrammed to control AF and the
shutter to just release the shutter. I typically shoot in AI Servo mode for most
sports but there are times when this won't matter, the reasons should be obvious
foul shots (etc...) As already stated, this will depend more on the movement of
the action, up and down action like on a trampoline or some cheerleading won't
matter as much as it will if the subject is moving to/away from you quickly.

2. I use a single active center focus point.

3. For locations where the light doesn't change (gyms, basketball, hockey, indoor
track). I start my day with an 18% grey card. Set my shutter and f/stop with
the card and leave it that way for the day. This will speed things up as the
camera will not have to check light readings every time you press the shutter.
I also use the same 18% card to create a custom white balance (saves tons of
time in post-processing later especially in some of the weird lighting in gyms).

4. For events where the light does change, I tend to use spot meter mode and
expose for hightlights as eric already suggested. I will still try and manually
set the shutter/f stop for the same reasons as described earlier and just check
the histogram lighting conditions periodically. If, however, it's a cloudy/sunny
day with lighting changing quite a bit, I rely on a center weighted meter mode
and still try to favor highlights.

5.If I need to shoot at ISO 3200 (some of the gym lighting is very bad even with
an f/1.8 lens, I over expose a bit. This helps with Noise. My 20D handles noise
better than my Mark II N so if the action is -NOT_ so fast the 20D focusing system
can handle it, I will use the 20D in a darker environment. However, nothing
can touch the speed of the focusing system of the Mark II N. As for Noise, I
use Noise Ninja for post processing.

6.I've found with the faster shutter speeds used for sports I haven't been using
IS ona 70-200 f/2.8. I do use the IS withthe 400mm f/2.8.

Hope this helps,
Joe

jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 1:36 AM   #16

If I hold the shutter button down in one-shot mode to get continous shooting, does the camera re-focus between each shot?

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:16 AM   #17
NHL

barthold wrote:
Quote:
If I hold the shutter button down in one-shot mode to get continous shooting, does the camera re-focus between each shot?
No - and that's the beauty of it (you have to let go of the shutter completely and re-sync)

I shoot birds in flight a lot and if the AF area(s) moves outside the subject then the busy background get into focus instead. I have more luck with one-shot than any of the AI modes...

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:33 AM   #18

That's a good question...

I'll try and be very specific and would love it if someone else added their thoughts on this...

The 20D has three foucs settings,

AF One shot - The camerawould be re-focus each time you hold the shutter release part way down, but it won't continue to focus if you hold it down. Also, since the drive mode would be set to a single shot also, holding down the shutter wouldn't do anything after the first shot.

Now... what if you had the camera set to AF one shot, but set the drive mode to multiple shots (like 5 fps). I've never done this :? So I don't know if the camera would try to refocus on each release of the shutter or not if the shutter button was held down.

The second mode is AI Servo AF, the camera will continue to focus on a moving subject, this is what I would think most folks would use with the drive mode set to auto drive or 5 fps.

The third mode is AI Focus, the camera will first focus like in One-shot then if the subject moves, it will switch to AI Servo mode.

I guess the technical question is what does the camera do in the following cases:

Joe
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:28 AM   #19

Joe,

I meant AF one shot with continous drive mode.

NHL, I need to experment, but I think the square around the focus point (I use center only) lights up for each shot in AF one shot mode with continuous drive. Suggesting it does re-focus?

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:29 PM   #20
NHL

My square does not light up each time in continuous drive mode, one-shot AF ...
It only focuses once and the light went-out - That easy to check: shoot the very 1st on one-shot at a distance and then pan your camera to something up close -> the subsequent shots should be out of focus...
The square only lights up for every shutter release when you are in AI-servo (i.e. refocus everytime) :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote