Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:26 AM   #1

So I could not wait anymore. I've just placed an order for a new 30D, supposed to ship next week:|

I am wondering if I should buy extended warranty or not. Also when is the latest I can buy an extended warranty? The note from Mack Extended 3-Year Warranty says it will cover additional 3 years after the one year manufacturers warranty is out. So I am guessing I can buy this any time within the first year. Is that right? Anybody has experience with this type of warranty?
YunusEmre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:54 PM   #2

Well I've found out the answer myself, so I thought I post it here as a public service Basically you need to buy and register the warranty within a month of buying the camera.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:33 AM   #3

I'm regularly on another forum as well and the general opinion there was that a Mac warrenty was not worth it. 4 out of 5 people had to fight to get their repairs done, with too many saying it came back in the same condition as when they send it in. And then there was the very long delay... 6 weeks or more in many cases.

It really sounded like it was not worth it at all.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 12:40 PM   #4

Thanks Eric. As it turns out I already have an additional 1 year warranty with my credit card. So I may not bother with an extended warranty at all. I'll have warranty for 2 years and that should be enough.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 7:37 AM   #5

anotherthing you should doif you have a lot of camera equipment, is to take out an insurance policy on your equipment. I have all my equipment insured. It is pretty cheap and I sleep pretty good at night knowing if I drop my camera in the lake while I'm out shooting, it's covered, If I'm on vacation and someone steals my equipment, its covered. It costs me about $10 dollars a mouth over and above my regular home owners insurance, pretty cheap for that kind of peace of mind.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:22 AM   #6

The policy being talked about is normally called an "inland marine" policy (I assume its modeled after a marine policy.) I have one as well and they cover almost anything.

Not that if you sell your images (which it doesn't sound like you do) they usually won't let you get one and the policy they will offer will cost more.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 3:26 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies again. Yeah it sounds like a good idea to add it to my home owners insurance. I'll ask the insurance company about it.

No, I do not sell my images. But if someone ever wants to buy one of them I might change my mind about that :-)
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:39 AM   #8

I have State Farm. They call it a 'personal articles policy'. Cheap, and no deductible. Definitely worth it.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote