Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 24, 2006, 2:27 PM   #1

I couldn't wait any longer and ordered the 5D from BH Photo. I hope to get it by the end of next week or maybe the beginning of the week after that.

We're upgrading from the Digital Rebel so I think we will be very happy with it.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2006, 12:58 AM   #2

Congrats on the decision to get the 5D! I was tempted to do the same myself. I have been suffering from paralysis by analysis too long due to weighing the 5D against the 30D. But I waited it out and as it happens I ordered a 30D today

Let us know how you like your 5D and post some pics when you get it.
YunusEmre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 1:28 AM   #3

Where did you end up buying the 30D? We were actually deciding on a 30D or just get the 20D with a lot of extras. I knew that as soon as I bought the 20D the 30D would come out 10 seconds after I placed the order for the 20D.

I've been bouncing back and fourth from the 20D, 30D, 5D, (Dreamed about the 1D) and even looked into the D200 and D2X. I read a lot of reviews and then read some more. I think the 5D will be the right choice but now we have to get a couple of serious lenses later on down the road.

I think the 30D will be a nice camera, is it your first DSLR or are you upgrading?

Dave
Old Mar 25, 2006, 9:12 AM   #4

You won't be disappointed. As an owner of a 20D and a 5D, I know that. I seldom use the 20D anymore. There's not much wildlife (animal wildlife)in the city. Mymajor issue with the 5D is that I've been forced to buy 3 primes to get the best out of the camera. I can't afford the L series zooms.
Attached Images

wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:24 AM   #5

Since I live in Germany I have to rely on online shops to purchase because the exchange rate between the dollar and the Euro put things out of reach for us. (Currently 1 dollar = about .81 cents). But today, the day after I placed my order, I get an add for a local MediaMarkt (like a Best Buy) that offers the Canon 5D with the 24-105 F4 L lens for only 3099 euro which would end up being about 3200 US. Now we are kicking ourselves because this is actually a good deal but I will be happy with BH since if the camera is purchased here it would not have a US warranty.

Anyways, I will still be happy with it so I will stick with what we ordered.

Dave
Old Mar 25, 2006, 1:35 PM   #6

headhunter66 wrote:
Quote:
Where did you end up buying the 30D? We were actually deciding on a 30D or just get the 20D with a lot of extras. I knew that as soon as I bought the 20D the 30D would come out 10 seconds after I placed the order for the 20D.

I've been bouncing back and fourth from the 20D, 30D, 5D, (Dreamed about the 1D) and even looked into the D200 and D2X. I read a lot of reviews and then read some more. I think the 5D will be the right choice but now we have to get a couple of serious lenses later on down the road.

I think the 30D will be a nice camera, is it your first DSLR or are you upgrading?

Dave
I ordered mine from a store in NY, (17th Street Photo Supply, Inc., http://www.17photo.com). Right now I only ordered a 430EX flash, 2GB Sandisk III card and extra battery with the camera. But I'll soon be getting an L lens (probably the 17-40 f/4L) and some other things I'll need, for example a new camera bag is top of the list.

Yes, it is my first DSLR. I was very tempted to make a 5D my first DSLR but it'd put so much pressure on me to buy more L lenses I shied away from it. I do not see my abilities as worthy of such eqiupment. May be when I polish up my skills and the 5D comes down in price (or when its successor is announced) I may go for an FF camera.

YunusEmre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 2:13 PM   #7

I've seen some amazing shots taken with the 20D so I'm sure the 30D will do just as good or maybe a bit better (I heard they improved on the noise a bit).

Let us know how you like it.

Dave