Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:13 AM   #1

Happy Monday all,

Taking a train down to DC this weekend from CT to take early am and late afternoon pics of the cherry blossoms. I'm also doing the Night tour of the monuments. With the 20D and a Canon 17-85 IS lens, am I just as well off leaving the camera on "P" when I take the shots? Am gonna do them all with a tripod.

Thanks for the help.

Jay

www.bishoplandscapephotos.com

pacman1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:33 PM   #2

Jay,

You should inquire about the tripod. I know a professional photographer who was told she couldn't use a tripod when shooting the whitehouse. I hope that this won't be the case for you.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 8:29 PM   #3

pacman1951 wrote:
Quote:
Happy Monday all,

Taking a train down to DC this weekend from CT to take early am and late afternoon pics of the cherry blossoms. I'm also doing the Night tour of the monuments. With the 20D and a Canon 17-85 IS lens, am I just as well off leaving the camera on "P" when I take the shots? Am gonna do them all with a tripod.

Thanks for the help.

Jay

http://www.bishoplandscapephotos.com

Jay, choosing aperture and/or shutter speed is a creative decision that should not be left up to the camera. For example, you may want to choose a long shutter speed to streak taillights, or you may want to choose a small aperture to create star effects on the streetlights.

P mode should be left for those times when you have to hand your camera to a friend to take the shot when you want to be in the picture. You bought a powerful camera with manual controls, and you should utilize them t oget the most of your camera.

Chris M
www.imagineimagery.com
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote