Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 30, 2006, 7:48 AM   #1

Got my 30D on Tuesday - Roberts was out & I needed mine to try & learn a few basic things before I go out on a trip for the weekend. I found mine on Monday at DeVille Camera in Jackson, MS & had it overnighted via Fed Ex for $35.00.

So far - wow what a camera! Nice BIG LCD screen, which by the way, is VERY easy to get fingerprints on. Startup time is on as soon as you turn it on. I tried a couple of pix indoors with my 430EX - set camera to P until I have the time to read the manual, & washed them out. Built-in pop up did good. Tested a few shots last night & set the camera in Manual & the flash in automatic, & it worked better. Now to learn more & try out my Metz flash to see how it fares. (by the way, I only shot in P indoors as I always shoot in TV Mode outdoors 98% of the time).So far, I have used mainly my 28-135IS & my 17-40. Next up to test will be my New Tamron 28-75, my 50 1.8 & my 70-300IS. I also plan on using my tripod as well to really test for sharpness. So far, when out shoting in bright sunlight, I find the shutter speed & f-stop very hard to even see, compared to my 300D - which I kept - it's paid for, has never let me down, & performs very well. Just not really good in low light above ISO 800.

More reports after the weekend.
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2006, 4:31 PM   #2

Congratulations! Looking forward to your field report after the weekend.
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 1:28 AM   #3

One thing I found out today(Thursday) - my Metz 54 AF-1C will not go to E-TTL or to Manual Lo on the 30D, so I called Metz & they said to send it in & have the software updated. All it willcost me is the shipping to them. But, get this - my Sunpak 522, circa about Late 1980's works - in both the TV Mode & in Manual mode. Just needs a diffuser. Go figure . . . .
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote