Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 31, 2006, 7:57 PM   #1

there's something on the mirror or sensor of my brand new 30D. i took it out for the first time today, and when i got home, i was dismayed to see a smudge in the top center of some of the images (it's only visible against a solid background). hereis a sample shot... you can see the dark smear in the upper middle. it's there in photos taken with 2 different lenses, so i know it's in the camera. can anyone suggest what it might be, and how to get rid of it? i'd hate to send the camera back for repair three days after i got it, but i don't want this smudge on my photos!!

Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2006, 8:37 PM   #2

Hi!

Firstly congratulations on your purchase / receiving your new 30D. However I also understand the frustration if a new product seems to have something wrong with it!

I don't know for sure, but maybe it's dust (a particularly / big / nasty piece!) on the sensor.. (this is your first DSLR isn't it?) Does the smudge appear at lower F-stops (larger aperture)?

Try this link http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/for more help / information.

Please do let me know the outcome, also I hope you can get rid of it ok. And I look forward to seeing some posts (esp landscape) from you in time with your new machine!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:04 AM   #3

Rocky, good to see you here in your new home. When I saw the title of the posting, I was saying to myself: "Man, I hope, that's not Rocky with his new Canon." Unfortunately, it was you. Yeah, it looks like a dust speck on the sensor.You should either call Canon and just have them replace the camera since it is brand new and should not have any dirt in it. Or get a specialized cleaning kit to clean the CMOS sensor. Hope you get it resolved swiftly. I can't wait to see what you get out of that camera.

Rainer (from the Panasonic forum)

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:30 AM   #4

Looks like sensor dust. Here's how you can clean the sensor yourself.

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 6:58 AM   #5

I would try the simple way first using just a bulb blower. Make sure you have a fully charged battery, and go to the menu and select sensor clean. This will keep the shutter open, hold the camera with the sensor facing down and use the bulb blower to blow off the dust. When you're done just turn the camera off and you're ready to go. I've had my 20D for over a year and this is the only thing I've ever done to clean my sensor. I change lenses a lot too. To check the sensor for dust, use a wide angle lens & stop it down to around f/11 or so, take a photo of a white piece of paper, or wide open sky. You can use a white wall, just make sure the walls are clean and free of specks. Dump the picture into your image editting program and go to auto levels. Any dust will show up. It's easy, safe, quick and will usually take care of any dust spots you may have.

David
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 8:39 AM   #6

Since there seems to be just the one spot, I'd clean it myself. Sooner or later you'll have to clean the sensor, may as well learn to do it now. If you brought the camera from a brick n mortar store, have the salesperson who sold you the camera,show you how it should be done usingthe blower method. Otherwise, use the links the others have provided. Good luck!
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:34 AM   #7

thanks to all for the suggestion... i managed to dislodge the speck myself, went out afterward and shot the sky to make sure it was gone... hopefully i will not have to do that again too often!

on a related note, just how fragile are the sensors? is there a limit to how many times they can be cleaned without risking damage?

i notice there's a HUGE difference in price between the Copperhill system and the one offered by Visible Dust. is the latter that much better? has anyone tried both, and can offer a comparison? i'd hate to spend close to $300 for a cleaning kit only to find that i could have done the jobjust as well - and just as safely - for a tenth that amount!

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 7:09 AM   #8

Squirl033,

Glad you got rid of that dust spot!

The sensors are fragile, but I've heard from various folk (in person and on forums) that if you are careful EACH TIME you can clean them quite often. (I can foresee the danger of being very careful / meticulous the 1st time, but then after a while familiarity sets in and one forgets to be careful enough.. and scratch and OUCH!! (replacing sensors is a very expensive thing!)

I went to a London camera shop and they said the £30 cleaning kit they had (special swabs and liquid) were as good as needed. Just be careful! It probably depends on each person's patience and hand-dexterity, etc.

All the best.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:19 AM   #9

Actually, you're not cleaning the CMOS itself, in front of it is an Infra Red filter, so you're actually cleaning a piece of glass.

I use a blower to clean my 10D regularly, and when i get to much dust/dirt on it i use sensor swabs to clean it completely.

If you do it properly, there is no risk, and you can do it as often as needed.

BTW, this happens quite often, that there is dust in an new D-SLR.
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 7:58 AM   #10
npl

I use a high-powered blower to dislodge the dust. If that fails I find the sensor swabs with eclispe fluid works wonders... Not sure I'd want to pay 10x more to clean it... It would be cheaper to get it cleaned professionally.

/nick
npl is offline   Reply With Quote