Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 3, 2006, 3:55 PM   #1

Take a look the first picture in this topic:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=8

At apertures like 22, I can clearly see several large specks. I have taken extreme care of this camera and the picture above was from my first shoot with it.

It is quite disheartening to have these dust specks on the sensor (I've determined it isn't on the lense) and I got practically a hundred shots in before it appeared.

Is this something that all DSLR owners have to frequently deal with?
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2006, 6:01 PM   #2

After analyzing other pictures, it appears that I have quite a few more dust specks on my sensor than first thought. I called BuyDig and am exchanging the camera for a new one.

I'm quite unhappy though with BuyDig; I have to pay shipping costs ($22) to return a camera which was defective/damaged when I received it (I went back to my first pictures taken and can notice the specks...I was extremely careful when first opening the camera and attaching the lense). But I guess it's the better of my two options, pay shipping for a brand new camera or send my damaged one to Canon for repair.

I'm quite disappointed though
Attached Images

Old Apr 3, 2006, 7:41 PM   #3
spy

Don't fret my friend. Dust on the sensor is the bonus feature that comes with DSLRs for free. Once you know how to get rid ofit, it will be like brushing your teethevery morning...it's ahastle but you can do it with your eyes closed. I have a 20d and I make ita habit once a week or soto flip up the mirror through the camera program, take the puffer blower and shoot a couple shots of air at the sensor before do a photo shoot.

Learn how to do that on your camera and your 'dust grief' will blow away.

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 7:44 PM   #4

Yep, sensors just get dirty. Cleaning them is really no big deal, though. Remember, you're not touching the actual sensor, but the protective glass in front of it. I use sensor swabs and Eclipse fluid to regularly clean mine. Here's some good info:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...cleaning.shtml

Chris M
www.imagineimagery.com
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 7:50 PM   #5

Like spy, I use just the bulb blower on my 20D, and that is all I've ever used. I've had my 20D for over a year now and I change lenses pretty often, and usually while on location. I am careful to always keep the sensor facing down, orat least away from the wind when outside. And I change them as fast as possible. There is really not much to blowing off the dust. Before I paid $22 for shipping just to get another camera that probably will get dust on the sensor if it doesn't come with it for free. I would go spend $12 for a rocket bulb blower, you will need it sooner or later.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 8:16 PM   #6

Live and learn I guess. It's already been shipped so oh well, I've heard the term rocket blower before so I'll look into getting one of those as well.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:45 AM   #7
rey

Yeah go for the Giotto blower, I bought it when I got my camera but I haven't had the need to use it yet. I have the biggest one they have and maybe I could have settled for a smaller one.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 3:31 AM   #8
rey

I forgot to add, in case you haven't seen, Canon started a rebate program today. Maybe you can do a "re-purchase" the camera instead of doing a swap so you'll qualify for it (via new purchase date).

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=37

rey is offline   Reply With Quote