Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:53 PM   #1

Greetings, just purchased a 30D.* I'm shooting in the RAW format and would like to know if anyone has had any luck getting Adobe PS CS2 to open these files directly.* The Canon software will send the RAW file to PS as a TIFF file.* I guess it's a wait for Camera Raw to get updated from Adobe.**I really wish there was a set standard for these RAW files.* I think the DNG format Adobe has offered to use would be great, but someone needs to convince Canon and the others.Denis
dionysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:41 AM   #2

I don't have the 30D but I see on Adobe's site that they updated RAW in Jan to support the 5D and a few others. I'm guessing that they will have another update but I don't know when.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 6:53 AM   #3

Yes I have it working. The latest download alone from Adobe will not open Canon 30D raw files. Click on the link below and follow the instructions if you want to get it working.

http://akhater.wordpress.com/2006/03/24/early-support-for-photoshop-cs2-for-canon-30d-raw/

cheers,

gcube
gcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 8:40 PM   #4

gcube will that work for Adobe 6.0 also?? :?
D Humbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 9:58 AM   #5
Administrator

D Humbarger wrote:
Quote:
gcube will that work for Adobe 6.0 also?? :?
No version of Adobe Camera Raw will work with Photoshop Version 6.

The first Adobe Camera Raw version (1.0) was an optional ($99) plugin for Photoshop 7, which only supported some cameras available at that time.

Newer cameras will require newer Adobe Camera Raw versions, and the latest Adobe Camera Raw versions require Photoshop CS2 (or newer versions of Elements).

Adobe has a habit of making users upgrade to newer versions of Photoshop before their latest Camera Raw plugins will work.

All gcube is doing is modifying the latest Camera Raw version (3.3) to work with the EOS-30D. You'd need Photoshop CS2 to use it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 3:57 PM   #6

Followed weezimp's example in your link and I have it working in PS CS2 on a Mac running OSX.4.5.* Took a bit to figure it out but I have it working.**Any Mac user out there needs a copy, e-mail me.**Now Adobe's Lightroom works as well.**Denis
Old Apr 23, 2006, 9:04 AM   #7

Confused again please be gentle. Are the 30D RAW files the same as for My Rebel XT RAW files. Will this work for my XT also?
D Humbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 9:44 AM   #8

Apparently not, Canon has each of the DSLR model cameras running camera specific RAW files. I guess that would be the same with others as well. Each model camera has features others might not have or different means of accomplishing the same tasks, image wise.

The RebelXT RAW files can be opened using Adobe Camera RAW. Adobe just hasn't caught up with the 30D yet. This goes back to there being a set standard for RAW files. Adobe has been willing to provide a set RAW format but the manufacturers aren't willing to move on that yet.

Denis