Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 4, 2006, 8:16 AM   #1

I just received my Canon 5D last night in the mail and so far this thing is awesome, except for this:

When I turn the main dial, the values do not always change and sometimes they even go in the opposite direction that the dial is turned.:O

The Date/Time battery is dead.:?

Has anyone else had any of these problems?

I already contacted Canon and BH Photo to see what can be done.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:42 PM   #2

That sucks! If I remember right the date battery is supposed to last for 5 years. So it must be a bad battery. Or what ever is wrong with your camera caused the battery to drain too quickly. Let us know how B&H deals with this.
YunusEmre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 3:14 PM   #3

Being stationed overseas tends to make returning things a long drawn out process. When I contacted BH they immediately said it must be a problem with the camera and they gave me an RMA to return it. We are planning a trip next week and we didn't want to be without the camera. BH said we could buy a second camera and they will ship that out and when they get the defective one back, they will credit my account.

They payed to ship the new one out and it went out the next morning. I've dealt with BH several times and this is my first time dealing with customer service and that will keep me coming back.

Another plus that worked out in my favor is that my camera will have a new purchase date of 4 April. Now I get $300 back from Canon. Having that camera for a day and having to send it back was tough, but I think this will be worth it.

I had some questions on what settings was the camera on when I tried to use the dial and just to clear some of that up, the main dial worked just fine on the BG-E4 grip, just not the main dial on the camera.

Dave
Old Apr 5, 2006, 5:14 PM   #4

headhunter66 wrote:
Quote:
Another plus that worked out in my favor is that my camera will have a new purchase date of 4 April. Now I get $300 back from Canon. Having that camera for a day and having to send it back was tough, but I think this will be worth it.
That's good justice. You will get some compensation from Canon too. Yeah BH photo customer service has a good reputation. I was curious how they'd deal with it. BH photo paying for the shipping is fair. Post some pics with your new 5d from Germany.
YunusEmre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:42 PM   #5

YunusEmre wrote:
Quote:
That's good justice. You will get some compensation from Canon too. Yeah BH photo customer service has a good reputation. I was curious how they'd deal with it. BH photo paying for the shipping is fair. Post some pics with your new 5d from Germany.
Our first trip with it will be to The Netherlands. We hope to get some good shots and I will surely post them. We even hope to meet Mr Frank Doorhof while we are there.

Dave