Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 5, 2006, 9:59 AM   #1

I have a Digital Rebel (not the XT) and so far for the last 2 yrs, its really did well. I have an old 380ex flash and I'm getting some weird shadows on the bottom of the pictures. Its like the flash isnt strong enough or something. Anyway, I'm thinking the flash is perhaps losing it's 'mojo' so maybe it's time to get another one. What would you recommend? I think the 580ex is WAAAAAAY overpriced so I'm looking for something like 100-200? Thanks for the advice
Tj3775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:04 PM   #2

I have the Sigma EF-500 DG Super that I bought for my 300D. I've upgraded to the 20D and still use the Sigma flash. It has the same features and the Canon 550EX, and you should be able to find it for around $200. This is a fantastic flash for the money.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 12:46 PM   #3

I second the Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash. If you do not need wireless flash sync, then you can also go with the Sigma EF-500 DG ST flash...only difference is the ST doesn't have wireless receiver/transmitter.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 1:29 PM   #4

Are you sure that a new (longer) lense isn't obstructing the flash at the bottom of the picture?
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 7:27 AM   #5

THought of that...but its the standard 18-55 lens. and I"ve never noticed it before (when I first gotthe camera) so I'm thinking the flash is at fault. Look at the picture below and at the bottom. In that picture, the camera is turned on its side (wht the flash resting in my left hand). The shadow is on the right side (mostly). Camera is set to ISO 400, using Shutter Priority (shutter is set to 1/100).

ALSO, the armory where I take most pictures is lit by those high pressure sodium lights (orange) and they play havok on my pictures. Is there a filter so I can cut out some of that crap? Thanks!

Tj3775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:16 AM   #6

Tj3775 wrote:
Quote:
ALSO, the armory where I take most pictures is lit by those high pressure sodium lights (orange) and they play havok on my pictures. Is there a filter so I can cut out some of that crap? Thanks!

There are two things to try in order to correct this. The first, and easiest is to set a custom WB on the camera - the instruction manual will show you how. The 'target' should ideally be a 'white card' or 18% grey card but people use all sorts of white objects to set it with. The key is that the object, when photographed, must be in the same lighting situation as the subject of your real photos will be.

Give the cusom WB a try and see if it works. One problem you may encounter is the lights may be so far apart there isn't an 'even coverage' so when each light cycles it changes the color temperature. You'll know imediately when this happens - you set the custom WB, take a 5 shot burst and each image will have a slightly different color cast. This doesn't happen often, but if your venue is one of those then the only solution you have left is to shoot RAW and adjust the WB of each photo in the RAW conversion. Try the custom WB first though - it should work in 90% of indoor situations.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 1:37 PM   #7
NHL

Tj3775 wrote:
Quote:
THought of that...but its the standard 18-55 lens. and I"ve never noticed it before (when I first gotthe camera) so I'm thinking the flash is at fault. Look at the picture below and at the bottom. In that picture, the camera is turned on its side (wht the flash resting in my left hand). The shadow is on the right side (mostly).
-> That effect is the result from the angle of coverage from the flash (i.e. not wide enough - the lens is wider that the flash beam)

On the EF-500DG Super (as on the 580EX) there's a diffuser that you can pull out to widen the coverage!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote