Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 6, 2006, 1:36 PM   #1

I decided on the Rebel XT and got it in today. Seems nice so far, but there is one thing that's confusing me. If you have the camera around your neck via the strap and gently tilt it back toward you and forward again, you hear a faint "clank" type of sound, as though something is moving back and forth inside the camera near the top. The camera takes photos just fine, but I have no idea what this noise is.

I know someone who owns a 10D and his does not make this sound. He says he THINKS this is maybe the mirror inside just moving back and forth, and that it does it on lower priced digital SLRs but he's not sure. So I'm asking in here. Anyone know what this is and is it normal for this model?

Thank you.
richardj30127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2006, 5:20 PM   #2

That is probably the sensor which detects whether you are holding the camera horizontal or vertical. It's a little ball which rolls from one side to another if I remember correctly.

Quoting from theRebel XTmanual:

"When you change the camera'a orientation between horizontal and vertical, the camera orientation sensor will make a small sound. This is normal and not a defect."

Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:41 AM   #3

There is another cause of a small clanking sound in the Rebel XT, but it is not a problem. The flash has 2 little metal rails that are loose when the flash is closed so rotating the camera results in these rails moving around and making little clanking noises. If you pop up the flash and move the camera you will notice that the noise has dissapeared.
ScaryFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:09 AM   #4

ScaryFast wrote:
Quote:
There is another cause of a small clanking sound in the Rebel XT, but it is not a problem. The flash has 2 little metal rails that are loose when the flash is closed so rotating the camera results in these rails moving around and making little clanking noises. If you pop up the flash and move the camera you will notice that the noise has dissapeared.
Yup, this is absolutely correct.
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:05 AM   #5

^ x3
Bulldogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 5:44 PM   #6

Mine does this also but you must have really good ears to hear it. It took me a while to detect it.
D Humbarger is offline   Reply With Quote