Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 18, 2006, 7:56 AM   #11

Great shots. Are you using auto WB or manualy adjusting it to the lighting?
D Humbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:30 AM   #12

D Humbarger wrote:
Quote:
Great shots. Are you using auto WB or manualy adjusting it to the lighting?
thanks! at the moment, i'm still getting used to all the other settings, so i'm using mostly auto functions for things like WB, contrast, etc.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:00 AM   #13

Squirrel is basically right on about the 100-400 vs. the Sigma.
It is bascially impossible to try to quantify exactly how much slower the Sigma AF is, but it is slower. I say it is impossible because you'd have to do it in a lab under extremely controlled conditions. The amount of light, the angle of light, the subject and its angle to the light, the distance to the subject all effect focus speed. And I didn't even get into how steady you're holding the camera, how well you keep the AF point on the subject, how far out of focus it is when it starts focusing.

For many subjects it won't matter. Photographing fast moving objects is hard (young kids running around, wild animals being active.) Wildlife photography pushes the boundries of your equpment, so you'll find it does make a difference. But does it make a $300+ dollar difference? (the Canon 100-400L is around $1,300USD.) Maybe not for you.

For example, small birds like warblers and kinglets move a lot. You'll find that you miss shots because of two things:
- You don't get on them fast enough
- When you do get on them they are gone before the AF finshes.

Clearly some of that is the user, and some the equipment. As you do it more, you'll get better at it and the first factor will go down but the second won't.

I got the 100-400L before the Sigma came out. The early Sigmas were fairly soft and didn't focus as fast. They seem to have fixed the "soft" problem. But the AF speed is a factor of the internals and is by design. It seem to be a good lens, but not a great one. The Canon 100-400 is a "great" lens (for what it is - a 4x push-pull zoom that is f5.6 on the long end.)

If you want something in the 500mm range that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, consider getting the Sigma 50-500. It is a slow lens (f/6.3 at the long end) so it will have trouble in low light situations. But it can be had for around $1,000USD. Very nice price for 500mm.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 6:27 PM   #14

Thanks squirrel, Eric.

I am not much in taking wild life pictures but mostly for the reason I didn't have right lens so far. Other subjects I am taking pictures are sometimes planes at airshows. It is probably easier to 'catch' low pas jet than small fast moving bird, or I believe it is.

For planes I've used only 75-300 USM which I find to be fast but still, there are number of shots I've missed, when plane is low and fast and closer to the border line (spectators). Usually airshows are held only when wheather is nice so no need for 2.8 or faster lens.

This is the quote of first user comment from 'photography preview':
Quote:
Quite a good cheap super telephoto zoom. OS does what it ought to, for stationary hand held shots. AF does what it ought to, for stationary hand held shots. AF tracks slow moving targets, like people walking. But not suited to my needs - it went back to the shop within 2 weeks. Replaced by Canon EF 100-400 L IS

Strengths:
Sharp, good portrait shots at 80mm on 20D Passable hand held night shots at 400mm Neck strap on tripod mount (want it on my Canon lenses now !)

Weaknesses:
Night time, huge starred flare from lights. Reflection of off-axis lights diametrically across image centre. Slow, noisy AF Jerky OS while panning in mode 1 or 2 OS does not work when lens is supported, image drifts about randomly but slowly Heavier than Canon 100-400 Incompatible with Canon 2x extender EX surface is a PITA to clean off dust !
I think this guy is to critical with Sigma lens. He says that you can track nothing faster that people walking. At least he didn't comment on their age.

GM2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 6:40 PM   #15

@ D Humbarger

I tooused the AWB in my shots. I got the new camera the day before I left for my vacation.

I didn't even think about bringing my 300D in case my new camera failed. Good thing it didn't.
nwcubsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 7:06 PM   #16

Here is one of your namesake squirrel. A southern grey. The other shot is a common jay. Gm2006 both shots were taken using a XT with a 75/300 IS/USM out to 300 & wide open ( 5.6 ) & AWB.

D Humbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:39 AM   #17

Wonderful shots!
101Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 1:09 PM   #18

Nice shots but you can tell the difference between Sigma and cheaper Canon tele. I find it soft and not contrasty enough.

Here is my 30D + 75-300 USM II shot. It was overcast and I didn't have my 430EX with me. Didn't use built in flash. This shot is reduced a lot and actually is much better in 1:1 (:idea.

What am I doing wrong: I try to attach picture which is only 180kb (and limit is 250kb) and it wouldn't let me post it?

Attached Images

Old Apr 19, 2006, 1:20 PM   #19

Wabbit (same 30D-75-300 USM II):

Attached Images

Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:41 AM   #20

Great Shots squirl!
Good to see you're enjoying your new camera.
I don't know if you remember me but you've helped me once before when I posted about needing a replacement Adapter for the FZ20 in the Panasonic Forum.
You were kind enough to ship it to me for nothing but the shipping rate! I'm still very grateful to you for that.
I've switched to a 350D a while ago , the high ISO performance sure makes alot of difference.

Best of luck my friend! enjoy your new gear:|

Amir
Amiroquai is offline   Reply With Quote