Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:59 AM   #1
dlw

Could someone please explain exactly what 100% crop means? I did a search & find it mentioned many times but no basic explaination. Thanks!
dlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:27 AM   #2
Administrator

Basically, it's a section of the original image that has not been downsized.

If you tried to post a full resolution image from most cameras, it would be very large on screen, requiring a user to scroll up and down, and left and right to see the entire image.

By cropping out a small section of it (for example, 640 x 480 pixels), you can show someone the quality of the full size image by posting that section (since it has not been downsized or resampled), without the drawbacks associated with a larger image (which wouldn't fit on most screens).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:01 PM   #3
dlw

JimC, sorry for my dullness, but here's how I understand what you are saying:

Take a raw image, convert it to JPG, then crop a small part while the image is at the original size? Thanks again.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:10 PM   #4
Administrator

Right. Make sure you don't have any resample boxes checked and don't try to resize it before you crop out a section of the image.

Showing 100% crops lets someone see detail that may not be visible in a downsized image, without the need to post a full size image.

Old Apr 9, 2006, 1:28 PM   #5
dlw

Thanks so much for cleaing that up for me. I appreciate your clarity very much, sometimes people tend to over do it with us newbies!
Old Apr 10, 2006, 5:23 PM   #6

dlw wrote:
Quote:
Could someone please explain exactly what 100% crop means? I did a search & find it mentioned many times but no basic explaination. Thanks!
The responses seem to ignore the question. The responses appear to address the general term "crop" and ignore the "100%". There are several possible definitions of 100% crop. I suspect that the definition is nebulous as used by most. I too would like a definitive answer.
Daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:16 PM   #7

I can't tell you for sure the mathmatics of a 100% crop, but in Picassa and I believe Photoshop too, you can zoom in and it will tell you what percent it is cropping. It appears to be about 10% of the original image, which would make the math pretty neat...

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:29 PM   #8
Administrator

Daedalus wrote:
Quote:
The responses seem to ignore the question. The responses appear to address the general term "crop" and ignore the "100%".
I answered it in the first sentence of my first post in this thread:

Quote:
Basically, it's a section of the original image that has not been downsized.
A section of an image is a crop. Because it's a section of the original image (without downsizing), it's a 100% crop.

Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:39 PM   #9

Wow. I guess that makes my theory pure crop! So much for math. Live and learn... :idea:

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote