Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 11, 2006, 12:00 AM   #11

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I found one user that had a Digital Rebel shutter replaced for $180 by Canon in California. Another claimed Canon in NJ charged twice that amount.
Thank you for that tip...I'll look for the CA service webpage first. The East Coastservice won't quote a flat price: requires submitting the camera (probably true in either case). I'd go for $200 and under without hesitation.

I did find a webpage for the shutter assembly part...and also twowebpagesby astro-photogs on how to disassemblethe Digital Rebel and reassemble. In their case to replacethe bandpass filter element covering on the sensor.

For that $55 part, I'd try replacing the shutter. If those guys can do it, so can I! Give me a hammer and a screw driver and I can fix anything!
SteveModena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 12:41 AM   #12

Marc H wrote:
Quote:
Geesh, i thought that i took a lot of pictures. bou what you do is just plain silly.

BTW what do you photograph most?

Marc H:

Except for the time of day, here a typical example and setting of the kind of historical marker I visit.

Click here for the full size image from my ISP page. Be sure to expand it fully so you can read the whole sign.

NCHHM Sign A26 Richard J. Gatling, located in Hertford County, North Carolina

I shot it after dark...the proof is the red streak. It is December. The soybeans are probably almost dried down enough for harvest. The rust tint to the white paint is because the sign is steel rather than the usual aluminum: meaning that it was erected during WWII or there abouts. It stands on the shoulder on the property of a young deputy sheriff who came out to ask me "what are you doing?!" He was fine once he saw the camera up close. He told me that the sign was older than he and had always been right there on that post (he had bought the land and trailer recently). He seemed to remember the Gatling house might have stood just a bit further down the road on the other side, when he was a small child. But he said other people there abouts speculated that the Gatling house had stood on the same side of the road as the sign, which would be "north" as the sign says.

Marc H, If you don't recognise the name, Gatling, this man's main invention was this; and it's modern descendants look like thisand this.

Every trip brings unexpected surprises to me: North Carolina has produced outstanding, resourceful and remarkable people from its beginnings in 1585 until today. I am always humbled by their generousity to and trust of a stranger on the road.

SteveModena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:49 AM   #13

I think you'r just trolling Nobody would normally take 150.000 photos in 40 days???

If you are not joking, you should really getmini dv-camera that way you can get24 frames per second

And btw: normal people wouldtake 3 photos perhistorical marker you visit and still get perfect exsposure!!

are you shooting raw images or jpg images?

Bache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:06 AM   #14

a time and motion study would say it is physically impossible to take this many photos a day and drive to the places where you take the shots:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:10 PM   #15

this would be about the equivlent of buying a Chevy Caviler and putting 100,000 miles on it a month, probably won't last too long. Another example, Nascar race cars have engines that built with the best possible parts and best mechanics there are that cost hundreds of thousand of dollars each. Afterpractice laps, and a 500 mile race, theseengines are shot.They have totake them apart and completely rebuild them.What you are doing is like taking a car of the showroom floor and racing it at 180 MPH for 500 miles, I don't think you will finish the race. Since you used to be a mechanic, this may put things in perspective for you.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 4:00 PM   #16

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that the rate and way that SteveModena is using the Canon Rebel 300D is a bit "unusual"..... I agree with what all of you: bache, aladyforty and caboosewrote above: it doesn't count as normal use!

(I had to laugh at your post Aladyforty... I was thinking the exact same thing, as I calculated 1 photo every 7 seconds for 8 hours a day, where does the 350 to 500 miles of TRAVEL come in? OR for that matter the copying / saving of photos, let alone post processing!!) And why does one need to take so many photos of each historical marker? I guess it doesn't make sense to most of us....

Phew!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:15 PM   #17

well i was more worried about the toilet breaks, would you get time to have one?:-)

Having said that, Ive had a mirror repair done on my 300D which involves taking the camera apart and I felt it was reasonably priced ($245'00 AUST) for the use Ive had out of my camera which says Ive taken about 10,000 since purchase in july 04. Im sure Ive taken more! does the camera number go back to zero at any stage??? even if Ive taken 10,000 I feel that a small repair after all the shots Ive taken (and a couple of unfortunate falls for my poor camera)is fine. Camera is serving me well and I will continue to repair it if needed until I can afford the expense of an upgrade.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 6:30 AM   #18

That's right! My 300Dhasabout 12.000 shots taken,and still working fine ... I bought minein 2004
Bache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 9:58 AM   #19

I've labored long and hard to come up with a better solution:

I taken several dozen shots of a historical marker near here (U.S. Grant's Birthplace).

I used AEB, various lenses and perspectives. The one I like best was extensively modified in PSE. We're talking sharpening, saturation, rubber stamping the blemishes, the whole 9 yards.

Now, I scan in postcards from around the country, drop my perfect historical marker in and change the text on the sign to read whatever I want.

Of course I really only have the patience for 4 or 5 a day, but look for my coffee table book soon.
jcepp is offline   Reply With Quote