Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 10, 2006, 11:31 AM   #1

:?? i have a 300d and want to take more action(sports) and low-light shots(graduations and weddings). should i get the 30D or upgrade my lenses from
a 17-85is and 70-300 to a 17-55is f2.8, 85 f1.8, 50 f1.4, and 70-200 f2.8.
:G
bookerreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2006, 1:25 PM   #2

IMO the faster lenes who help more for sports and low light. The 30D does I believe have a faster burst rate which is also a benefit for sports. Well it's only money, just get the camera and the lenses :-)
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 1:41 PM   #3

This one is tough - usually the answer is better glass is always a better investment over a camera. But, given the two areas you want to improve your photo quality in, both are really necessary. The better glass speaks for itself.

But the 20d/30d has a lot of improvements over the 300d in sports and low light:

ETTL II vs ETTL metering for flash shots - I constantly had to use manual mode and FEL on my 300d (while leaving flash in ETTL mode) - now I no longer have to use the FEL and get much more reliable flash shots with my 20D.

ISO3200 capability on the 20d/30d - this can be huge depending on your low light situations. If flash is not allowed, this is a life saver especially if you require low light action shots where a lens with IS buys you nothing because you still need fast shutter speeds

5fps instead of 3, plus the better buffer handling so you can take more shots in a sequence. This is a big help for sports shooting - you can't predict when someone is going to have their eyes closed so having 5 shots to choose from instead of 3 is a big plus.

Instant-on - when I shot sports with the 300d I had to keep half-pressing the shutter to keep it from going to sleep (although you can change the duration before it will go to sleep I believe)

Better precision focusing with a 2.8 lens

With the 30d you'll get iso increments of 1/3 so no longer need to jump from say 1600 all the way up to 3200.

So, this is a tough one. Graduations and weddings should use a flash and not a fast prime anyway (you're not the official photog so do you really need that 1 or 2 shots in the church where flash isn't allowed). So, for just those types of activities you're better off buying a good flash gun than a fast prime IMO.

What sort of sports do you want to shoot? I'm just wondering - you have about $2000 worth of lenses listed and I'm wondering if you could get a 20d, a flash gun and a single lens for the same amount of money.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 2:13 PM   #4

pro baseball, football at every level, and basketball at every level:|.
bookerreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 3:14 PM   #5

Then the answer is you need both:

You'll want the ISO 3200 for indoor basketball (along with 85mm 1.8 lens for baseline shooting)

If you shoot football under lights you'll absolutely need ISO 3200 and you'll want a lens at least 200mm 2.8

I would suggest 30d or 20d, 70-200 2.8 and 50mm 1.8 to start out - that will get you the most bang for the buck.

I wouldn't let the pro sports shooting drive your decision on anything - unless you're on the field or court, you're going to be restricted on lens size so you won't get great photos anyway .

It doesn't really matter which order you buy them in - lighting conditions for basketball and football are going to be poor enough you'll need both the benefits of the better camera and the faster glass.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote