Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 11, 2006, 6:16 PM   #1

I am ready to purchase the Canon 30D, however, I am so confused on which lens to go with. I thought to start, I would get the EF-S 17-85mm IS, but have not read such great reviews i.e. soft at 17mm, slow lens (though I like the IS for low light situations). Here is my thought...can I get away with a EF 24-105 L IS USM for everyday use like portraits, kids , indoors? and then perhaps a wide angle EF-S 10-22mm? Will I lose out between 17mm and 24mm? I know that these lenses are much more expensive, so any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
elle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:44 AM   #2

We need to know more before we can recommend a lens.

When you say "portraits" do you mean the usual "people posing in control situations" thing? Or something else? Be specific. Are they group portraits or single person?

For groups, you need a wide angle. 24mm is certainly not wide enough if the groups are big. If its a single person, the standard lens is between 50mm and 80mm. So everything you list (except for the 10-22mm) would do.

When you say "kids" do you mean action shots? Kids running around the back yard playing? Or kids sitting still? (I know, kids almost never sit still.) Being able to stop action and track their motion requires a fairly good USM lens and a large aperture (low f-stop) or lots of light.

Indoors could be done on a tabletop tripod if you just mean interior shots. If you mean people indoors you almost certainly want a flash. You're eye can see in much less light than a camera can. You'll be surprised what will be difficult with a camera that works for you just fine.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:17 PM   #3

Hi Eric...thanks for your response.

Let me try to be more specific.....Iamlooking for agood quality walk around lens, primarily for"portrait" meaning group and individual (not in a studio/professional environment). "Kids" meaning action and sports. "Indoors" meaning family gatherings, events, anything. "Travel" meaning landscapes, wildlife.

I think my best choices are the 17-85 IS or the 24-105 L IS? Do you think the latter,despite the price, would be a good choice for what I want? And, do you think I would miss the difference between 17mm and 24mm?

Hope I am a bit more clear....thank you again!!!

Elle

Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:32 PM   #4

I can suggest only what I've tested and it is new Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 DC lens. I've paid $380 at B&H and I've found nothing wrong with it.

Today I've made first 12 x 16 enlargements. Quality of even this big enlargement is just great.

Lens is 2.8 only at wide (17-20) and then reduces. By many tests this lens is more than comparable to Canon 18-85 IS optically. It is not IS (but is faster) and probably not as fast as Canon, but unless you are taking pictures of fast moving animals speed is absolutelly okay.

I had this lens for only 10 days and I do not know will it be relialable as Canon but I can see that Sigma is moving ahead and introducing new models which are better and better and with very good prices.
GM2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 6:08 AM   #5

Thanks for your advice GM!! E