Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 13, 2006, 5:52 PM   #1

I am ready to purchase something to clean my sensor on a 20D. I have researched several of the products mentioned here and there, but am still confused as to which is easiest or best. Some of the top contenders are Sensor Swabs with Eclipse solution, Visible Dust (expensive), Lens Pen, Arctic Butterfly, etc... I am leaning towards the Sensor Swabs, and maybe getting a lens pen too. Accessories such as a magnifying visor and a hobby vise sound like good ideas. I already have a Rocket Blower, but the foot pump blower sounds like a good idea too. Any comments would be appreciated.

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2006, 7:06 PM   #2

The only thing I've ever used on mine is the rocket blower and it has worked very well for me. Maybe I'm lucky but have never had anything that couldn't be removed with just the blower. There may come a day when my luck runs out, but until then the blower is my only sensor cleaning tool.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 1:04 PM   #3

If the blower doesn't work, I use the Copperhill tool. http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

Cheap, easy to do yourself, it works.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 9:45 AM   #4

i've been using sensor swabs with pec*pads and the eclipse solution. this stuff will take any spot off your sensor and it's fairly inexpensive. this is of course after i've tried the rocket blower and sensor brushes.

mugen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:21 PM   #5

Photographic Solutions makes a Sensor Swab that comes complete with a pad already attached. They do not recommend Pec Pads for the sensor. Other system have a Sensor "Swipe" or spatula that you wrap a Pec Pad over. I was curious if anyone has tried both and could comment on the difference...

H
Old Apr 25, 2006, 4:47 PM   #6

Before you spend a hundred bucks for a brush read this:

http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_...ur_Sensor.html

I'd probably buy a copperhill brush which is about 15 bucks.

antiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 6:30 PM   #7

I have already ordered some Sensor Swabs and Eclipse. I will definitely order the Copperhill brush and hope this will be effective for most of the time and reserve the "wet" method for welded dust. I may try the Pec Pad/Sensor Swipe when I run out of Swabs.

I think the people who sell the Visible Dust brushes must be the same people who decide how much gasoline sells for lately... :O

H
Old Apr 25, 2006, 7:35 PM   #8

I was surprised to see how much of dust I've collected on my 30d just after takingcouple of hundreds of pictures. I've lived in thinking that mirror actually sits on some kind of chamber and when it is down (as it is most of the time :idea that sensor would be actually protected by the mirror. But when I took a closer look inside the camera, mirror was just hanging'in the air'.

Anyway, dust it is! Live with it or do not change your lens . There you go!

Well, before I am unable to remove the dust I will continue to use compressed air. This time I've tried my airbrush compressor which effectively removed all the dust spots (and I had at least 20 of them). Disadvantage: compressor is about 10 pounds and not so compact ... works fine home. Need something smaller and more transportable. Even compressed air cans are not so compact.

I am still kind of reluctant in using any swabs or anything that actually touches the sensor glas. But I know there will be that dust spot which will refuse to go ...:evil:
GM2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:11 AM   #9
Super Moderator

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH COMPRESSED AIR.

Most compressed air, even from photographic outlets is NOT SUITABLE for cleaning dust off the sensor. This is because the propellants used can be corrosive to the glass covering the sensor, you really could **** ** your camera for good. As well as the propellant issue, most compressed air is not clean - there can be traces of lubricants that make it in from the compression process, also corrosive, also potentially able to mark the glass on the sensor and permanently damage the camera.

Unless you know for sure the product you are using is safe then you should assume it is not!!!!!!

The sensor is covered by a piece of glass. This is fairly tough, but you should treat it with care. Anything that is potentially corrosive is very dangerous. Pec pads and Eclipse fluid is much safer than normal compressed air. Using a big bulb blower works fine between "proper" pad cleaning sessions. I find that I only really need to clean with the pads once every 3 months or so and with a bulb blower every 2-4 weeks.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:38 PM   #10

Thanks for the advice. I know that you can test any air source only in specialized lab and probably under the microscope. Good airbrush compressor is fine source of air, oil and moisture should not be normaly present. I've tested my compressor on the DVD surface and checked it with magnifying glass. Couldn't see any traces of anything. But will think about it next time I have to do cleaning!
GM2006 is offline   Reply With Quote