Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 15, 2006, 11:57 PM   #1

I just recieved my new 30D from PCnation. all i can say is WOW. It is much better than my D30 that i dropped last summer off the trunk of my car. I have been using my Is1 Canon for about 9 months. Its a good camera in it,s own right but left me still wanting more so just when i decide to get a 20D the 30 hits the market. the real deciding factor was the new spot meteringI hope to keep this one for a good long time (I will be insuring this one) this is about my 15th digital. I have been into digital since July of 1991 my first camera was a Canon Zapshot (still have it) I didn,t even know that i liked photography untill digital came along.well i,m off to play with the new toy I hope to post some potos soon.

Larry

ljohn1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:40 AM   #2

It must be some camera to make you post, since this is only your second post since 2002! Like you, I'd given up photography for several years until I got my first digital camera a Toshiba in1994. Since then, it's become a second source of income and my number one hobby. One thing I noticedwhen I got my 20D was that the number of shots I took went way up. The upgrade actually caused me to buy/build a new computer and get several more compact flash cards.

My upgrade path: Toshia M4, Nikon 5000, 10D, 20D, and 5D. I have them all except the Toshiba. I use the 20D and 5D professionally.

Happy shooting!
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 1:00 PM   #3

wsandman1,

You are one of the few who has both 20D and 5D DSLRs. What are the pros and cons of each camera in your expert opinion?

I am trying to decide between 30D and 5D. The price of 5D is very lucrative these days ($2670 after Canon's $300 rebate).

All comments will be appreciated as I can use your expert input to decide which way to go.
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 1:29 PM   #4

harana,

Personally, I would buy the 5D. I really couldn't afford it, but now that I have it, it's worth it. I don't know about being an expert, but the photos I take with the 5D seem better than those I've taken with the 20D.

If you don't shoot wildlife exclusively, or mostly action shots, IMO the 5D is probably the one of the best cameras on the market for "cost effective" picture quality, especially without a flash. Even though I've been trying to use the 20D more instead of the 5D (to save the shutter), I find myself using the 5D 80% of the time. I'm looking atthe Sigma 80 - 400 and Canon 100 - 400 L lenses to get back some of the reach the 20D gives me due to it's 1.6 cropping factor. The 30D has improved over the 20D, sothe choice will be even harder, it depends on your shooting style long verses wide. I learned photography using a 35 mm film camera, so getting the 5D was like meeting an old friend,not having to worry about multiplication factors, etc. The camera (5D) will force you to move to primes and L glass so it more expensive than you think. It also produces gorgeous (very large) photos that will force you to get more storage space.

I think Canon may have made a mistake, because I really don't want the weight of the 1DS or 1D. The 30D and 5D are arguably good enough for most professional applications that don't require weather proofing or rugged treament of equipment.

Bill

Old Apr 16, 2006, 8:01 PM   #5

I generally agree with wsandman1, I just wanted to add a few comments.

First off, I don't have the 5D (I have the 20D and 1D MkII N) but I've read a bit about it including comments from some professional landscape photographers.

If you don't do wildlife and you can afford the 5G, get it. It is a better camera for the vast majority of uses. And it's better in subtle ways that I think Bill is seeing, but isn't realizing. It produced a more contrasty image, with a bit of a richer feel. It seems to hold detail in the dark end better as well.

If you prefer wide angle shots (group shots, buildings, landscapes) then the 5D is a great camera for you. A note for the future. If you really want to ask the classic "which camera should I buy?" question (which you aren't really doing here, you're just getting an opinion) make sure to tell us what type of photography interests you. Different cameras are better at different things. For me (doing wildlife photos) the 5D would be a really bad choice... but the 20D/30D or the 1D MkII N are perfect choices.

If you do get the 5D, bill is right - get good lenses. They cost a lot, but they last a long time. The 5D is better than the cheap glass so the lenses would be holding it back. Heck it shows the flaws in some of the "L" wide angle lenses!

With the 5D, the only reason to get the "Pro" cameras for landscape work is if you need to produce really big prints or if you need the weather sealing. The 5D is that good.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:37 PM   #6

Bill and Eric,

Thanks for both of your comments. They are very helpful in making the final decision. I have done very little wildlife/birds photography. I usually end up doing more landscape, people, close up photography. Ido quite a bit of weddings too.

What subtle improvements do you see in 5D over 20D in picture quality?

What kind of glass will be needed with 5D? I can't afford all L glass. Would Sigma EX do?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 9:48 AM   #7

Quote:
"What kind of glass will be needed with 5D? I can't afford all L glass. Would Sigma EX do?"

Neither can I. My advice is to get EX or L glass if you can. I started moving mostly to Canon lenses, mainly due to the color differences between the two brands. I don't like having to adjust this later.

If you told me youdid weddings I'd say get the5D for sure. This camera allows you to makein camera cropping mistakes that you can fix by cropping in photoshop. The large image size allowscropping for up to 8 x 10without losing too much detail. Group photos also have more detail, especially when enlagred. The difference between the two cameras is not quite like that of a medium format verses 35 mm format but this is what I think I'm talking about. It more subtle, but I think it's there. The buffer is huge, so you won't miss much.

I only have one L series lens, the 70 - 200 F4 L. I use the 28 - 135 mm IS zoom as my primary event camera and 85 mm and 20 mm primes for special portraits and group shots. The prime have very little distortion compared to most zooms. I have a Sigma 28 - 70 2.8 EX thatI used to use asmy primary lens until I got the 5D. The low light quality of the 5D photos and the ability to use 1/3 ISO settings allows me to shot at 320 - 400 ISO and get similar quality as the 20D at ISO 100. I can take advantage of the extra reach of the 28 -135 that has nearly the same quality as the Sigma. Forany documentary work, I often use the 20 mm on the 20D to get nearly the same perspective as shooting a 35 mm on full frame.

One more thing, I assume you have a back up camera forweddings.

Bill
Old Apr 19, 2006, 3:07 AM   #8

Yes this is only my second post in years but i have never missed a day viewing this site and always recomend it as the best for info. on digital cameras. I miss the old days when i would take a photo with a digital and draw a crowd that wanted to see the new fangle device that could actually let you see the photos instantly. Boy the good old days.

Well it,s off to Vegas Sun. to see what the new camera can do. when i get back Wed. night i might post a photo or two.
ljohn1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 8:15 AM   #9

LJohn,

Good luck on your vegas trip.

Harana,

I'm posting a sample cropped verses original photo. I hope enough of the original quality comes through so that you can get a feel for the difference size makes when you have to crop. Otherwise, you won't really notice that much of adifference in quality in a 12 verses 8 mega-pixel image at the smaller print sizes.

Bill
Attached Images

Old May 3, 2006, 3:42 AM   #10

ljohn1950 wrote:
Quote:
I just recieved my new 30D from PCnation. all i can say is WOW. It is much better than my D30 that i dropped last summer off the trunk of my car. I have been using my Is1 Canon for about 9 months. Its a good camera in it,s own right but left me still wanting more so just when i decide to get a 20D the 30 hits the market. the real deciding factor was the new spot meteringI hope to keep this one for a good long time (I will be insuring this one) this is about my 15th digital. I have been into digital since July of 1991 my first camera was a Canon Zapshot (still have it) I didn,t even know that i liked photography untill digital came along.well i,m off to play with the new toy I hope to post some potos soon.

Larry

Congratulations, I will be interested in new 30d owners opinions on this camera. I am seriously thinking of going into debt for this one as an upgrade to my trusty 300d which has been a great camera but as I shoot mainly birds and moving things, that is animals or sports, I feel Im out growing it for those kind of shots. If I get a 30d it will be my 4th digital camera. first one being a canon A10 1.3 mega-pixel back in 2001 followed by a G3 (still in use by the hubby) and the 300d which has gone around the clock so to speak and Ive not yet had it two years.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote