Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 16, 2006, 3:29 PM   #1

Greetings, playing with my new 30D and it refuses to release the shutter and take a picture when the shutter button is completed pressed. Tried it in all modes, same result. I'm using the kit lens EFS 18-55mm. The auto focus works, no error codes and the LCD indicates all is well. The manual doesn't have anything that relates to this.

LCD indicates the battery is more than halfway charged. Charging battery now anyway. Would AE lock have anything to do with preventing the shutter from being released?

Prior to taking pictures, I formatted the CF card in the camera as it was full (saved pictures to laptop first). I did get 7 pictures before it refused to take any more pictures.

Denis
dionysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2006, 4:56 PM   #2

When you say the Autofocus works, is it locking on a subject? Something you could try is switch the focus to manual and see if the shutter will work then.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 4:57 PM   #3

Charged the battery, still had the problem. Was about to do a reset of the camera but decided to switch from AF to MF. I could then get the camera to take a picture. The shutter button worked! Shifted back to AF and the shutter button work as well.

Maybe bumping the manual focus ring when taking off and putting on the lens cover got the AF out of sync, I'm open to any suggestions. Ultimately its working again, that's the way I like it.

Dave I was typing this and didn't see your post, thanks.

Denis

dionysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:21 AM   #4

Usually the camera is set up not to take a shot if subject is not in focus. You can change through custom function. Maybe that's what happened with your camera.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 12:14 PM   #5

dionysius wrote:
Quote:
Charged the battery, still had the problem. Was about to do a reset of the camera but decided to switch from AF to MF. I could then get the camera to take a picture. The shutter button worked! Shifted back to AF and the shutter button work as well.

Maybe bumping the manual focus ring when taking off and putting on the lens cover got the AF out of sync, I'm open to any suggestions. Ultimately its working again, that's the way I like it.

Dave I was typing this and didn't see your post, thanks.

Denis
It sounds like either the lens wasn't seated correctly or the Manual/Auto switch may have been in-between modes.

Glad it works.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote